Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, newbie here. Only done a small number easy trail rides in the past, so not much experience, this will be my first serious mountain bike. Uses will be mostly trail riding, fire roads, and perhaps later when I get more adventurous some more all mountain stuff, if I am using that term correctly. Price difference between the two is negligible and unimportant. The Rockhopper is barely used and the Stumpjumper and it's components are in excellent condition as well... front suspension condition on the stumpy is unknown, so rebuild may be required.

It is pretty dry where I ride so disc brakes are not necessary, though I would be curious as to whether one or the other is disc-ready.

Which do you think I should go with? Thanks in advance!!

2000 Stumpjumper M2 Comp

Frame Construction TIG-welded
Frame Tubing Material Specialized M2 XX Metal Matrix
Fork Brand & Model Answer Manitou MARS, 3.15" travel
Fork Material Aluminum/magnesium, triple-clamp crown

Component Group Mountain Mix
Brakeset Avid 1D-25 brakes, Avid SD-1.9 L levers
Shift Levers Shimano Deore XT RapidFire SL
Front Derailleur Shimano Deore XT
Rear Derailleur Shimano XTR SGS
Crankset Specialized Strong Arm 2 Comp, 22/32/44 teeth
Pedals Specialized Comp
Bottom Bracket Shimano BB-UN52
BB Shell Width Unspecified
Rear Cogs 9-speed, 11 - 32 teeth
Chain Shimano, 1/2 x 3/32"
Seatpost Ritchey Expert, 30.9mm diameter
Saddle Specialized Revolution
Handlebar Specialized alloy
Handlebar Extensions Not included
Handlebar Stem Specialized alloy
Headset 1 1/8" threadless Tange Seiki alloy

Hubs Specialized Micro STOUT
Rims Mavic X225, 28-hole/32-hole
Tires Front: 26 x 1.90" Specialized Dirt Control Comp, Rear: 26 x 1.90" Specialized Dirt Master Comp
Spoke Brand DT stainless steel, 1.8mm straight gauge
Spoke Nipples Alloy nipples

2009 Rockhopper

Frame Construction TIG-welded
Frame Tubing Material M4 aluminum
Fork Brand & Model RockShox Dart 3 SL, 100mm travel
Fork Material Aluminum/chromoly, single crown

Component Group SRAM Mix
Brakeset Alloy Linear Pull brakes, Specialized linear pull levers
Shift Levers SRAM X.4 trigger
Front Derailleur Shimano Altus
Rear Derailleur SRAM X.5 medium cage
Crankset 22/32/42 teeth
Pedals Steel cage, plastic body
Bottom Bracket Shimano BB-ES25, 118mm spindle
BB Shell Width 68mm
Rear Cogs 8-speed, 11 - 32 teeth
Chain KMC X8
Seatpost Specialized alloy two bolt, micro adjust, 30.9mm diameter
Saddle Specialized XC Body Geometry
Handlebar Specialized low riser
Handlebar Extensions Not included
Handlebar Stem Specialized 3D, 31.8mm
Headset 1 1/8" Specialized loose ball

Hubs Specialized forged alloy
Rims Specialized RHD, 28-hole/32-hole
Tires 26 x 2.00" Specialized Fast Trak LK Sport
Spoke Brand Stainless steel, 15ga. (1.8mm)
Spoke Nipples Unspecified

·
Registered
851 Posts
The stumpy is a better bike for riding, but that rockhopper would be a great for upgrades. I found that Stumpy for a buddy with all parts minus the brakes, chain, and derailluers for $100 - it was a sweet deal and his wife is digging it. Also, you may want to have a good LBS look over the Stumpy if you decide on it as its old.

·
Seeeriously easy Livin
1,863 Posts
If the stumpjumper is in really good shape the components are higher quality; 9 year old top of the line stuff is still better than todays entry level stuff and the sumpjumper is probably lighter. You never told us what they were asking for the bikes, given the age of the stumpy it shouldn't be more than 3-400 so see if you can work a deal. Condition is everything with older bikes many aluminum frames have less than 5 year expected lifespans if ridden hard, and that bike is 9 years old. Also if your technically inclines it wont be too hard to overhaul that mars yourself, I have a 2002 model and there is nothing to it, still feels great though.

Really you should ride both bike and pick the one you like best.

·
The Martian
1,200 Posts
Certainly the Stumpy was the better bike in it's day and it may still be the better choice. BUT it is HIGHLY dependent on the condition of the frame and components as well as what your intent is (for instance if disk brakes are important to you then the Stumpy is a problem for sure, of course the rockhopper may be as well)

Basically I don't think it's fair to make an either or judgement without seeing the bikes or knowing the price.

For mostly fire roads either will work, and honestly you'll probably want to replace either one of them as you get more into the sport and start hitting some more challenging single track and maybe venturing into all mountain stuff. Basically, neither will be the last bike you ever buy. IMO, the rockhopper (good entry level bike that it is) is not a frame worth upgrading and you'll tire of it's weight and entry components as you improve; the Stumpy should be lighter and be overall better quality (the frame was, in it's day, worth upgrading, and probably worth turning into a singlespeed or similar now) but it's older and you may start running into frame fatigue or parts wear and compatibility issues (forget disk brakes and how beat up is the fork).

All things being equal I'd probably take the Stumpy if it's in "bought it, stuck it in the garage, took it out maybe 3 times a year" type condition and plan on making it my commuter/singlespeed/backup bike when I upgraded. If it's really been used and shows it's age I'd probably pass for the rockhopper that, while not as nice of a bike, is more likely to be reliable and cheapest in the long run.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Your not going to find much for parts if the front fork needs any service beyond a simple lube and oil change. And frankly, the Mars was not a great fork to begin with (I had a 2001 and hated it)

The M4 Rockhopper Frame is a BETTER frame than the M2 Stumpjumper. Unless your getting the Stumpy for $300 or less and everything (including the fork) is in top notch condition, walk away and get the Rockhopper...you can upgrade parts as you wear them out and the frame will be worth it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input fellas!

mtnbiker72 said:
The M4 Rockhopper Frame is a BETTER frame than the M2 Stumpjumper. Unless your getting the Stumpy for $300 or less and everything (including the fork) is in top notch condition, walk away and get the Rockhopper...you can upgrade parts as you wear them out and the frame will be worth it.
Wow really?... I was under the impression the Stumpy frame was better and lighter, despite being M2 instead of M4, because the stumpy frames were... butted more?? Or thinned more to save weight while keeping the strength the same?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Mtnbiker71,
That rockhopper frame is absolutely worth upgrading. The rockhopper is the current gen stumpy geo with a rev back in Alloy - thats pretty cool. If you buy the rockhopper frame (ebay perhaps) for a good price you can build that into a mean sleeper bike.
I do agree with you that the OP should be able to find that bike in good shape for under $300.

Anthony

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.