Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hanging my Fox Proframe helmet on the bar, and unfortunately the bike was fulling on the floor while the helmet was on it. After the impact (bar hight) i looked at the helmet and i saw i got couple of small scratches on the top.. nothing to worry about. It was end of the day, so i packed it and closed the day. Couple days later i used it again, and then i saw some small damage-band-crack from the inside in the back/neck as well as in the front... except the damage from the inside, the outside shell around these areas are clean/no damage.

I was talking with the shop (bought it online last month...) and they only willing to give me 15% discount for a new one (cant warranty this...), im wondering how safe to ride/use this helmet with this kind of damage?? Or should i swallow my pride, take their offer and get new one...

First pic front side, the other two back side.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
If I was offered 15% off a new helmet I'd probably buy it (depending on the total cost though. 15% of an $80 helmet, sure. 15% off a $200 helmet -I'd have to think about it or a minute.

I have fortunately not dropped this helmet but my others have been on the ground a couple times (including one crash) and I never ran to the store to purchase one.

I THINK that drop distance was enough to compromise integrity, but I would need to research the fall distance that compromises a helmet.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
I'm a "use the damn helmet until you crash it/damage it" rider and I have helmets that are 15+ years old in service so I don't replace my helmets casually, but I would get a new helmet if it had the damage you've shown pics of. It sucks that it is a nearly new helmet, but that's just how things go sometimes.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the manufacturer should offer you a better deal for a crash replacement helmet! giro, smith and others offer at least 30%
The shop told me that Fox dont offer crash replacement, 15% is the max the shop willing to give me as long as its not on sale... this helmet and other one im looking at are all on sale at the moment, so im waiting for their answer back.

New helmet will cost me around €175-200 after discount, not cheap... but safety first.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
From what I see in the pics, I wouldn't be concerned at all.
Same here. If I had replaced my helmets with that kind of damage, I'd have a hundred of 'em by now. The damage doesn't look to be in a area that lessens impact protection to the noggin. But, that's just me and my interpretation of the images.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Same here. If I had replaced my helmets with that kind of damage, I'd have a hundred of 'em by now. The damage doesn't look to be in a area that lessens impact protection to the noggin. But, that's just me and my interpretation of the images.
Tnx for you reply, much appreciate!

Im still waiting for answer from the shop, so in the mean time please continue to share your thoughts, so far its 50-50.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,612 Posts
Any compression of the foam, which I see in the pics, and the helmet gets retired.

Mine get knocked around when in storage/transit, but never anything like this. Just scuffs to the shell. As soon as the foam gets compressed, it's compromised. It will crack in that spot first, and absorb less energy on subsequent impacts. Maybe you never hit it there when your head is inside it, but maybe you do.

How much is your head worth to you?

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
A few small dents around the bottom edge is not what I'd characterize as compression of the foam. If the foam was smashed/thinned/cracked between the shell and the head, I'd call that compression. That's just me though.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Any compression of the foam, which I see in the pics, and the helmet gets retired.

How much is your head worth to you?
How much is your head worth? Just crashed a POC Tectal Race and bought a 6D ATB-1T EVO as I did not find the protection of the POC good enough.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update - i ended with new helmet, since the damaged one had another crack in the back that i didn't see at the beginning, only when i pressed the chin bar and the back i could see it... so it was a must, plus the shop was willing to give me €100 discount.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Just ask yourself how much is your head worth or how much you'll pay for medical bills if this thing fails cause at this point is clear that it might.
Such easy math really.
Being lucky living in a country where all have access to free medical service I still have the idea that trying to keep the brain in best possible state is a priority and I really believe that all safety items that are needed should be without tax, VAT and customs fee, but anyway: You are absolutely right.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.