Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit a branch today while going under it and the outer shell got scratched. The impact wasn't tremendous but I felt it.

I was wearing my Giro Hex helmet which I got for $50 shipped.

I called Giro and they said they can give me 30% off of retail. The retail for the Hex is $85 so I would end up paying $59.50. Which is still more than I paid for it. Plus I would have to ship the old one back.

The whole program seems very deceiving to me. I'm not asking or expecting them to replace the helmet for free, but retailers never sell helmet at retail price so the 30% off is mediocre at best.

Has anyone had any good experiences with such replacement programs?

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
No for the replacement of the whole thing but they rock when you need new replacement pads for inside! they just send them for free!! Sorry about the Noggin......:(

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ae111black said:
No for the replacement of the whole thing but they rock when you need new replacement pads for inside! they just send them for free!! Sorry about the Noggin......:(
At least they do that I guess. Trek wanted $20 to send me replacement pads. What a joke!

·
Yeah, I'll Ride That
103 Posts
Dictatorsaurus said:
I hit a branch today while going under it and the outer shell got scratched. The impact wasn't tremendous but I felt it.
Scratched? It's a mountain bike helmet - it should be a little scratched. On the other hand, I've had great experiences with helmet replacement programs when I actually break or damage the helmet to where it can't be used any longer. (ie. after a serious crash) What is the helmet companies incentive to replace a scratched product?

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
carneyam said:
Scratched? It's a mountain bike helmet - it should be a little scratched. On the other hand, I've had great experiences with helmet replacement programs when I actually break or damage the helmet to where it can't be used any longer. (ie. after a serious crash) What is the helmet companies incentive to replace a scratched product?
The helmet that several scratches. I'm not bothered or concerned about them.

My concern is that the foam might have suffered internal damage which is not visible.

Since the discount offered by Giro is still more than buying the helmet somewhere else, exactly how did you benefit from the program?

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
Dictatorsaurus said:
The helmet that several scratches. I'm not bothered or concerned about them.

My concern is that the foam might have suffered internal damage which is not visible.

Since the discount offered by Giro is still more than buying the helmet somewhere else, exactly how did you benefit from the program?
Then you should do a "Helmet Dissection" to determine the extent of the damage further....:thumbsup:

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
FWIW , if you didnt ring your bell , get knocked off your bike , hit your head hard enough to lose control etc. I wouldnt worry about replacing the helmet .

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
some sort of offer of a discount is a nice gesture.. lots of helmets go for msrp, just not overstocked mid grade ones.

its better than being told to go f yourself when you crack a week old 250 dollar carbon helmet or something i guess.

im a big fan of overstocked mid grade helmets for just that reason though :) not a big deal when you mess them all up.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
The 30% off retail thing sounds like the one time I inquired as to a crash replacement policy on a helmet, (it might have been 40% now that I think about it) but like you, just shopping can get you a better overall deal. I didn't dissect that helmet, either...wonder if it would be obvious as to how compromised it was from the crash, though. I smacked mine hard enough that time to just buy a closeout deal, which is the way to go with helmets afaic.

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
It's only a rip off if someone conned you into paying extra for it. Last time I took advantage of Giro's crash replacement program I took care of it from the LBS where I purchased the helmet. They took care of everything for me and I only had to pay the substantially disctounted replacement price. And no, it was not a highly discounted closeout helmet. Had it been, I wouldn't have even considered the crash replacement program.

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
Dictatorsaurus said:
At least they do that I guess. Trek wanted $20 to send me replacement pads. What a joke!
Yeah, what a joke. 'Cause obviously replacement pads grown on trees in everyones' backyard and all you have to do is walk out and harvest them.

Trek has overheads (CS staff time being chewed up by calls, inventory/warehousing postage) to cover, it's not just a matter of pressing a magic button and having a exactly the right pad appear on your doorstep.

If you build up a good relationship with your LBS, you might be able to get pads for free. Tone down the sense of entitlement a bit and build up a relationship.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
4,014 Posts
Look at it this way.. you can get an 09 or 10 version instead of that 08 closeout ...

course I just bought an 08 closeout.. but when I bust it, I'll get a current one at about the same price

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The knuckleheads that are accusing me of whinning need to first plug their heads out of their behinds and properly read the thread and it's title before attempting to be bashful. Sometimes you guys sound like bitter old grannys.

There was a question mark in the thread title. In case you're not sure what I'm referring to, it looks something like this "?". It was basically a question if you thought the program is a rip off or not. A simple yes or no, or providing some feedback on the program would have been sufficient. You would be as timid and polite as a ***** cat in person. So might as well carry out that character on the forum as well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.