Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Looking for helmet with a chin strap. If that even exist? I like the Giro Hex style, but looking for any reco. Thanks.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Chin strap? I think all helmets come with a strap and buckle. I am on my second Hex and would buy a third. It is a great fitting helmet and has saved my head once already.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, like a strap on a football helmet, but on a bike helmet of course.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Why?

Sneaker_Geek said:
Yea, like a strap on a football helmet, but on a bike helmet of course.
1st, why?

Get a football chin strap, cut slits in bothends, thread the straps of your bike helmet through it. You've got a chin strap.

If I see you on the trail, I'll laugh.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
I find a the little buckle on a bike helmet much more comfortable than the football helmet style. Those chin things acted like a cup and collected the sweat on my chin, didn't ventilate well, and always ended up smelling funny. My Cascade lacrosse helmet was a lot better though, but still more restrictive and less comfortable than a bike helmet

A football helmet needs to be anchored stronger to take direct frontal hits over and over, so they use that chin strap to anchor it from pushing back on your head. A bike helmet doesn't have this problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
boomn said:
I find a the little buckle on a bike helmet much more comfortable than the football helmet style. Those chin things acted like a cup and collected the sweat on my chin, didn't ventilate well, and always ended up smelling funny. My Cascade lacrosse helmet was a lot better though, but still more restrictive and less comfortable than a bike helmet

A football helmet needs to be anchored stronger to take direct frontal hits over and over, so they use that chin strap to anchor it from pushing back on your head. A bike helmet doesn't have this problem.
Good advice... I'm talked out of it. I'll go for this fox helmet I found for like 60 bucks. Whatta you guys think. http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm?stylePkey=17858&style_id=215 FOXFL8

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
That is a nice helmet:thumbsup:

I don't own one but have tried them on before. They seem to extend further down in the back or around the back than the average XC helmet which creates a nice snug feeling like its surrounding your head more not just sitting on top

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
18,992 Posts

·
Never trust a fart
4,343 Posts
I like the Hex. It will probably be my next mountain helmet.

Right now I'm using the Bell Slant for mountain and the Bell Sweep R for road, but I might use it for mountain also.

But your best bet is to head down to your LBS and try on several. Some helmets fit and some don't even when coming from the same manufacturer.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
18,992 Posts
rabidchicken said:
The only thing that turned me off from the Flux was the "spoiler". It just looked dumb to me.
Ok, that's dum. Dee ewe emm dum.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just ordered the Giro Xen. Nice looking helmet. Looks to have good coverage for the back of the head.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Xen looks good. I thought it was the Hex I liked, but the Xen is the one I seen before. I'll either go with the Fox Flux or the Giro Xen. Thanks a lot guys.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I bought a Fox Flux last summer and absolutely love it. Very comfortable and good looking too. I like the extra coverage it has on the side and back.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Finch Platte said:
Don't overlook the Bell Influx. MTBR reviews of it are here: http://www.mtbr.com/cat/mtb-apparel-and-protection/Helmet/bell/influx/PRD_361056_126crx.aspx

You can find these for a good price (I think Nashbar might have them on sale).

I had one & loved it. It was getting old & I got a killer deal on a Giro at REI, otherwise I would have gotten a new Influx, no bout adoubt it.

fp

Bicycle Warehouse has the '07s for $40: http://bicyclewarehouse.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=7737&site=google_base
I agree. The influx is a great helmet for the price.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts