Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Now with 3 more inches!
1,463 Posts
mb3designs said:
I know this is a stupid a$$ question, but are Bell and Giro helmets similar in sizing. I am need of a new helmet and found a great deal on a Giro online. Thanks.
I think helmets are like shoes. For me they're try before you buy. I've got 2 different Giro models in medium and they both fit a little different. Wouldn't order one online if I'd never tried it on.

Just got a XEN and love it.

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
mb3designs said:
I know this is a stupid a$$ question, but are Bell and Giro helmets similar in sizing. I am need of a new helmet and found a great deal on a Giro online. Thanks.
although Bell and Giro are owned by the same company the fit/internal shape of the helmets is very different. for example, i can wear most Giro helmets but none of the Bell helmets fit my head comfortably.

like the other poster said, i'd try the helmet on before buying so that you know you won't have to send it back. on the other hand, if it's a really good deal, buy it and if it doesn't fit just return it.

rt

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
mb3designs said:
Not a stupid question.

Most Bells fit my head great. Most Giros do not fit at all, except for the Semi, which fits great.

I use medium Bells and medium Semis.

·
Keep The Rubber Side Down
1,685 Posts
Repeating what most have already said; Giro helmets fit me great but for some reason Bells don't. If you have not tried on the helmet you found online, I would recomend against ordering it first.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Bad Karma

Mellow Yellow said:
If you have not tried on the helmet you found online, I would recomend against ordering it first.
Not sure this is what MY was insinuating, but trying a helmet on in a store then buying it on line can only bring bad karma. If you need the store to try it on (like with shoes, helmets and gloves) then you are obligated to buy it from the store.

Bells don't fit my head at all. It was the last helmet I'll ever buy on line. I was happy the day I closed that thing in the truck door breaking a piece off it.

IMHO of course,
John

·
Registered
685 Posts
A bit off topic, but I'd rather solve it here than in a new thread. I bought a giro helmet, but didn't realize it was a women's(neither did the worker, looks like man's helmet) so now I'm wearing a girls helmet that comes about 2 inches too short around my head. Are women's sizes different or is that normal to have 2 inches short around? Or do I need bigger?

As to answer the original question, bell helmets fit me, but I don't like their looks too much.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
mondaycurse said:
A bit off topic, but I'd rather solve it here than in a new thread. I bought a giro helmet, but didn't realize it was a women's(neither did the worker, looks like man's helmet) so now I'm wearing a girls helmet that comes about 2 inches too short around my head. Are women's sizes different or is that normal to have 2 inches short around? Or do I need bigger?

As to answer the original question, bell helmets fit me, but I don't like their looks too much.
From what I can tell on the Giro website the only difference between the "Women's Colors" helmets and the other helmets is the color. Same sizing, same shape. No women specific models.

If you are like me a medium Bell fit perfectly. I can not get a medium Giro on my head. A large or XL Giro with fit front to back but I can put my fist between helmet and head on the sides.

You have to try the helmets on! You can not just grab a medium in another brand or model just because your last helmet was a medium.

BTW Specialized helmets fit similar shaped heads as Bells.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
dir-T said:
I can't wear Bells either. They fit too tight fore-aft and too loose left to right. Giros and Specialized both fit great.
:confused: Hum :confused: I actually found the opposite to b true. I found (when I got my first helemt and had a chance to try both Bell & Giro) that the Giro shape was more round and the Bell was more oval. This being said I needed a new helmet and got a Bell X-Ray and find that it fits so much different than my previous Bell - snug in the front and wider on the sides. Maybe should have stuck with ordering the same exact helemet I had previously, but it didn't have as many vents as the X-ray - u live, u learn :|

1 - 12 of 12 Posts