Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
oh Lucky me
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Over this wonderfully warm weekend, on my usually evening ride I was going through a section of the trail that I am very familiar with but someone decided put a rock in the middle of the trail. (not a huge rock, but one I couldnt avoid hitting, I was going to fast and it was right behind a blind corner) So after a (im sure ridiculous looking) attempt at a save, I ended up doin some funky superman bonzai face plant...I guess im extremely lucky to have walked away without even a scratch (seriously, not one) but my head hurt!! like pounding headache, and I looked at my helmet when I returned home and it has a small crack, and several 'divits'. So anyways, im casually looking for a new lid.

What I want:
1. low profile (like skate profile)
2. ventilation (still want it to look like a mtn bike helmet)
3. i dont mind buying online, but i want to try on the same one locally before i buy
4. not over $100

any ideas?

Thanks!

·
I am Walt
6,357 Posts
Berge said:
Fox Flux ($99.99)
+1...that's exactly what I was going to say. I need a new one, and have been looking at the Flux. Kind of pricey, though.

·
oh Lucky me
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ive got an abnormal sized head so i would HAVE to try them on.

·
wretch
2,126 Posts
Ive got a huge dome. . . I had the, flux crashed hard, it saved my life, but Fox wouldnt help me out on a discounted return for a new one. . . so I shopped around and found the protec Cyphon. The Fox fit well, and had a nice lower reaching backside, was relatively light, but it doesnt make a difference as my neck is used to holding up the big dome anyway. The Cyphon isnt mcuh heavier, its got great venting, and the BOA fit is unmatched IMO. Both have removable visors. I lean to the protec again, because of how it fits. I initially struggled to get it to fit, but when you figure out how it sits on your head, you just turn the BOA wheel a few clicks and you barely even need the normal straps.

·
oh Lucky me
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
where did you get the protec? i think i want to go check it out?

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Until you said not over $100, I was going to recommend the Giro Xen.
Best half lid I've ever used.

·
oh Lucky me
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah, i looked at the Xen the E2 and uhmmm one other, but my financial obligations can not justify me dropping more than 100 (would like to stay under 70 but...)

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Exodus11 said:
yeah, i looked at the Xen the E2 and uhmmm one other, but my financial obligations can not justify me dropping more than 100 (would like to stay under 70 but...)
Cost on the Xen is what is keeping me from replacing the one I have.

I think Giro makes a model similar but one step below the Xen, its cheaper.

·
oh Lucky me
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Truckee Trash said:
, its got great venting, and the BOA fit is unmatched IMO. .
call me stupid but what does BOA mean?

·
Registered
500 Posts
+1 Giro Xen

Giro Xen's the best lid I've worn. I picked up new one on Ebay for $80 including S&H. Previous year's model and limited color options. Never had a regret though.

·
Don't believe the Hype...
830 Posts
I happened to be in Sports Chalet at Metro center at lunch and they have the Flux, Cyphon and a Giro one that looks just as good and cheaper than both...

·
dirt visionary
6,505 Posts
If you like to ride fast or aggressive I would get a well vented full face. Never know when you'll get the high speed washout and hit some rocks with your jaw or something.

My full face goes on every type of ride

1 - 20 of 28 Posts