Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
rack admirer
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Off to Wampatuck for quick pre dusk ride after a day of roof repairs at home. As I made my preparations at the multiuse trail parking lot, a guy rides by with the pointy part of his helmet facing forward and ill fitting straps, sitting up straight and proud and tall on his hybrid. Not snickering at all, every impulse told me hail this guy over and advise. I just couldn't get past the visage and posture of pride. Let him have his day. So I shut up and let him ride off into harm's way with flaws in his armor.

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
I probably would have told him...

It's like having spinach stuck in your teeth. You might not want to hear it, but you'll be glad someone told you to prevent future embarassment. Just my $0.02.

·
I love burritos.
171 Posts
radair said:
NO, but you should have taken his pic.....
LOL

Same thing happened to my "beginner" friend when I let her borrow my loaner helmet. I looked at her and said, "Umm, the visor goes in the front." We both thought it was funny. :)

·
34N 118W
2,246 Posts
same here

Mr Magoo said:
a guy rides by with the pointy part of his helmet facing forward and ill fitting straps, sitting up straight and proud and tall on his hybrid.
reminds me of the guy I saw on the Venice bike path with his helmet on backwards.

Riding his Segway.

Sweet.

·
"Mr. Britannica"
1,818 Posts
davis said:
It's like having spinach stuck in your teeth. You might not want to hear it, but you'll be glad someone told you to prevent future embarassment. Just my $0.02.
Not quite... helmets are for safety. Prob not doing the guy much good backwards. He might have even thanked you for mentioning it. Imagine if he had crashed.

Now if it were a fullface helmet on backwards................ definitely shoulda taken a picture.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Similar but different -

I was dining al fresco with a riding buddy and this woman rode by on her hybrid (no helmet). We were staring at her bike trying to figure out why it looked so odd - we finally realized the front end was backwards!! Somehow she had managed to turn the wheel 180 degrees and was riding along like that!!

·
Registered
804 Posts
speaking of inappropriate setups...

Mr Magoo said:
Off to Wampatuck for quick pre dusk ride after a day of roof repairs at home. As I made my preparations at the multiuse trail parking lot, a guy rides by with the pointy part of his helmet facing forward and ill fitting straps, sitting up straight and proud and tall on his hybrid. Not snickering at all, every impulse told me hail this guy over and advise. I just couldn't get past the visage and posture of pride. Let him have his day. So I shut up and let him ride off into harm's way with flaws in his armor.
This is going to sound absolutely rediculous but I swear it is a true story.

I was rolling up to the trailhead (dirt MUT basically) one afternoon last fall and I saw a couple getting ready to ride... both wearing lycra cycling shorts... on top of blue jeans.

Yeah. Lycra on the outside.

I really wanted to tell them, but there is no way I could have done that with a straight face.

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
Nice! The best I came across was a couple in crisp white & tan linen clothes (matching no less). They were at the trail head as I was leaving. The trails they were heading into had mucho mud. I wish I stayed around to see if they continued. They didn't have helmets on (bet they'd be on backwards if they did).

·
Just Grin and HUCK it...
855 Posts
frank n. beans said:
... both wearing lycra cycling shorts... on top of blue jeans.

That is funny. Another reason to always have your digital camera with you when you ride... just try to take the pictures discreetly so that others around may enjoy it as well.

·
Registered
115 Posts
frank n. beans said:
This is going to sound absolutely rediculous but I swear it is a true story.

I was rolling up to the trailhead (dirt MUT basically) one afternoon last fall and I saw a couple getting ready to ride... both wearing lycra cycling shorts... on top of blue jeans.

I really wanted to tell them, but there is no way I could have done that with a straight face.

Mybe their very bashful?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts