Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried both? If so which would you choose over the other?

Looking for my first good helmet and could use some advice.

Seems these two are pretty well reviewed/rated. Plus I like the fidlock.

Wouldn't mind some other suggestions around $250 or less..

Thanks!

·
Registered
20,141 Posts
I tried both and kept the A3.

The Fox is dope and has a better looking shape (IMO) but what made it a no-sale for me was the lack of padding on half of the inside of the helmet. It doesn't make any sense why they did that. Having hard foam directly on my shaved head feels terrible. Maybe if you have a bushy hairdo then you wouldn't notice. It's really weird.

The TLD has some really nice interior padding and a sweat gutter thing on the brow that works great. The shape is a bit more rounded and bulbous than the Fox but at least they have some nice graphics.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried both and kept the A3.
Thanks for the reply!

I actually saw that in a review on YouTube and it kind of boggles my mind as well.. I can see why it might be uncomfortable if your heads shaved.

Think I'm just gonna go with the A3 so I don't have to work about it haha. I see a lot of people saying it's super comfy plus I like the idea of the sweat guide, sounds like a great idea.

Does the sweat guide work well? I wear a halo band thing (or a sweat cap) so not sure if they'll interfere with each other or compliment each other?

·
Registered
20,141 Posts
Thanks for the reply!

I actually saw that in a review on YouTube and it kind of boggles my mind as well.. I can see why it might be uncomfortable if your heads shaved.

Think I'm just gonna go with the A3 so I don't have to work about it haha. I see a lot of people saying it's super comfy plus I like the idea of the sweat guide, sounds like a great idea.

Does the sweat guide work well? I wear a halo band thing (or a sweat cap) so not sure if they'll interfere with each other or compliment each other?
The sweat guide works great on my head. As long as it contacts your brow you might not need the Halo band any more.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Anyone tried both? If so which would you choose over the other?

Looking for my first good helmet and could use some advice.

Seems these two are pretty well reviewed/rated. Plus I like the fidlock.

Wouldn't mind some other suggestions around $250 or less..

Thanks!
Only right answer is that you choose one which fits your head better, reviews are irelevant compared to fit. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
No experience with the Fox, but love the A3. In 20 years, the A3 is the only helmet that has been comfortable enough to wear for 1.5+ hours (I have a really wide head and typically get pressure headaches on my temples; aka Charlie-Brown-Head).

Also, sweat guide works great!

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Been wearing the Fox Speedframe Pro for a few seasons and I absolutely love it. I have buzzed hair and the thin padding has never been an issue for me. I actually like the thin padding as it evaporates sweat really efficiently. I sweat a lot so this is really important to me.

My first Speedframe Pro bit the dust is a crash early this season when my head smacked into a rock. Helmet did its job perfectly and Fox even sent me a 20% off code to replace it.

The Speedframe Pro is crazy comfortable and vents really well, most importantly it does a great job protecting your head.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Been wearing the Fox Speedframe Pro for a few seasons and I absolutely love it. I have buzzed hair and the thin padding has never been an issue for me. I actually like the thin padding as it evaporates sweat really efficiently. I sweat a lot so this is really important to me.

My first Speedframe Pro bit the dust is a crash early this season when my head smacked into a rock. Helmet did its job perfectly and Fox even sent me a 20% off code to replace it.

The Speedframe Pro is crazy comfortable and vents really well, most importantly it does a great job protecting your head.
Interesting take on the less padding! It seems a lot of people find the fox comfortable as well so I'm guessing it's going to come down to fit, as others have mentioned.

I live in NY and while I sweat a lot, there's more cold months than warm ?

I wish I could try them on locally but I'm just gonna order one and try it out I guess.

·
Registered
20,141 Posts
Interesting take on the less padding! It seems a lot of people find the fox comfortable as well so I'm guessing it's going to come down to fit, as others have mentioned.

I live in NY and while I sweat a lot, there's more cold months than warm 😔

I wish I could try them on locally but I'm just gonna order one and try it out I guess.
It's not "less padding" or "thin padding," it's "no padding" (on the back half). MIPS is the contact layer. Maybe it'll work for you though.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts

I live in NY and while I sweat a lot, there's more cold months than warm ?

I also live in NY and I didn't have any issue running the Speedframe in cool/cold weather.

You can actually manage air flow through the helmet with the visor. Put it all the way down and it tends to shut off some flow, push it up and it funnels air onto your head. In the cold I just run the visor down, or you can just wear a skull cap.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
It's not "less padding" or "thin padding," it's "no padding" (on the back half). MIPS is the contact layer. Maybe it'll work for you though.
The helmet is designed for the back of the helmet (hard foam) to not really be in direct contact with your head. The retention system cradles the back of your head, leaving a very small air gap.

This might not work for all head shapes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I also live in NY and I didn't have any issue running the Speedframe in cool/cold weather.

You can actually manage air flow through the helmet with the visor. Put it all the way down and it tends to shut off some flow, push it up and it funnels air onto your head. In the cold I just run the visor down, or you can just wear a skull cap.
Nice! I like the idea it's a little cheaper, too. Plus I think it looks a little better (design wise) from what I can see online.

If I could find a pewter color in stock I would grab it. White looks pretty cool but not sure it'll match my mostly dark theme lol.

Speedframe Pro. I had the A3 and it didn't vent NEARLY as well as the Speedframe. I live in Florida so that was important to me.
Thanks! Nice to hear from someone who's tried both. I think the fox is gonna be the winner as I can add layers in winter, can't really remove much during summer haha.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Nice! I like the idea it's a little cheaper, too. Plus I think it looks a little better (design wise) from what I can see online.

If I could find a pewter color in stock I would grab it. White looks pretty cool but not sure it'll match my mostly dark theme lol.
The pewter color is sweet. I grabbed that color and another one in black after my last one broke in the crash. With how short in supply everything is I decided I wanted to have a backup helmet.

Considering NY seems to be the worlds newest humid as hell rainforest in the summer, having options to keep cool and then warm in the winter is great.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The pewter color is sweet. I grabbed that color and another one in black after my last one broke in the crash. With how short in supply everything is I decided I wanted to have a backup helmet.

Considering NY seems to be the worlds newest humid as hell rainforest in the summer, having options to keep cool and then warm in the winter is great.
Agree on the pewter...
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim
Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle helmet Helmet Sports gear Motorcycle helmet

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.