Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm finishing up a review of the current "most popular" self contained "sport cams"with some interesting results.

The cameras I reviewed:

Twenty20 VholdR
Hero GoPro
Tachyon XC
Oregon Scientific ATC5K

Check it out here if your going to be buying any of these soon: http://www.helmetcamreview.com

Attachments

·
www.swampclub.org
439 Posts
Tachyon XC Video on Youtube

Well... My first video was shot a bit high. I had my helmet mount too far back.
My second video is a bit better. Take a look:
All in all, I am happy with the Tachyon. Its low light capability is terrible, and any camera shake is very noticeable at times, but for $150.00, the durability is amazing.
One tip… ALWAYS use BRAND NEW batteries - especially when using alkalines. Even if a battery is slightly used, it won't last long - and bring a set of NEW spares!

·
Banned
46 Posts
anthonyi said:
Well... My first video was shot a bit high. I had my helmet mount too far back.
My second video is a bit better. Take a look:
All in all, I am happy with the Tachyon. Its low light capability is terrible, and any camera shake is very noticeable at times, but for $150.00, the durability is amazing.
One tip… ALWAYS use BRAND NEW batteries - especially when using alkalines. Even if a battery is slightly used, it won't last long - and bring a set of NEW spares!
Are you serious?

·
www.swampclub.org
439 Posts
Tachyon XC Video

braunschweiger said:
Are you serious?
Actually, I AM serious. It WAS a video (although not the best one)... I WAS on a mountain bike... I DID use a Tachyon XC. What part didn't you understand?... and WHY was there any need for an obnoxious comment? I can only assume that some people have nothing better to do than to post comments that no one else cares to read. Didn't your parents teach you any manners... As in, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." In either case, have a nice day.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Don't mind him, he has nothing better to do.

I have some Rayovac rechargeable batteries that are pretty nice. They'll stay charged for over 6 months and only lose like 20% of the charge. They're great for switching out mid-day if needed. They aren't as cheap as regular batteries, but they'll last a long time.

·
www.swampclub.org
439 Posts
Tachyon XC Video

hitek79 said:
Don't mind him, he has nothing better to do.

I have some Rayovac rechargeable batteries that are pretty nice. They'll stay charged for over 6 months and only lose like 20% of the charge. They're great for switching out mid-day if needed. They aren't as cheap as regular batteries, but they'll last a long time.
;-) Thanks for the tip. I have some NMH that are a bit old. Maybe that's part of the problem. I also noticed (maybe everyone already knows this) that the more the camera moves, the more battery power it uses. If I leave it running on a table, it will last for hours with the NMH. Well... I'm learning.

·
www.swampclub.org
439 Posts
Tachyon XC Video

hitek79 said:
That's interesting. I've never noticed one way or the other. I get very limited time in the winter when it's cold though.
I actually noticed by accident, while testing the camera in my kitchen. Don't get me wrong, there may have been other variables, and I've not tried to recreate my results. (I guess it would have been a poor science experiment.)

·
Registered
915 Posts
I have an atc5k it is pretty good picture quality wise and with the screen you can set it up perfectly very quickly but and a BIG BUT the batteries are only supposed to last an hour and they don't even achieve that. On a day on the snow recently they were only lasting about twenty minutes (might be a temperature issue) just a couple of runs and i was having to put new batteries in.

I am going to try some panasonic rechargables 2400uA hopefully they will add some recording time.

·
Banned
46 Posts
anthonyi said:
What part didn't you understand?
I understood your entire post, hence my reply.

I'm amazed that someone can be "happy" with that lousy footage.

This is not an "attack"on you, just a comment on the horrible video quality of the product that you purchased.

But I'm sure that you'll take as a personal attack once again.

Oh well.

·
www.swampclub.org
439 Posts
Nsynk said:
I have an atc5k it is pretty good picture quality wise and with the screen you can set it up perfectly very quickly but and a BIG BUT the batteries are only supposed to last an hour and they don't even achieve that. On a day on the snow recently they were only lasting about twenty minutes (might be a temperature issue) just a couple of runs and i was having to put new batteries in.

I am going to try some panasonic rechargables 2400uA hopefully they will add some recording time.
I'm afraid that they probably won't do any better. The problem with rechargeables is that the fully-charged voltage is lower than non-rechargeables, so you are at a disadvantage right from the start. Let me know how it goes.

·
www.swampclub.org
439 Posts
braunschweiger said:
I understood your entire post, hence my reply.

This is not an "attack"on you, just a comment on the horrible video quality of the product that you purchased.

But I'm sure that you'll take as a personal attack once again.

Oh well.
Maybe you should consider being clearer in your posts.

Just an FYI, I responded in the manner that I did, not just because of your reply to my post, but because I also read your other posts, and most of them sounded obnoxious.

Yes. The quality of that video is not great (no matter - when I am the one that took it), but I have the camera for other reasons also (boating, motorcycling, jetskiing, windsurfing, snorkeling, etc.), so the $150 was well worth it. The only thing it lacks is the ability to use it for scuba diving, but I already have a video camera for diving.

·
www.swampclub.org
439 Posts
I wonder if someone can give me some tips on camera mounting. I have my Tachyon on the standard mount, attached to my helmet. The mount is rock solid, and my helmet is tight, but my videos are still jumpy. (See
)
I have seen some smooth Tachyon videos on YouTube, but I have no idea how to get this result. I have not tried a handlebar mount yet. In Florida, we have numerous roots and rocks every few inches, but I'm not sure if this is the full cause of the video bounce. I wonder if it would be better to use a handlebar mount. I thought it might be worse, since my body does absorb some of the impacts, but maybe my theory is all wrong. Any comments would be appreciated.

·
www.swampclub.org
439 Posts
Polar Bear said:
I use lithium batteries and usually get about 8 hours out of them, even in the cold.

Also, you may want to try www.vimeo.com, the quality is generally better than youtube.

Bri
Thanks for the tips. I would like to use rechargeable batteries if possible, and I can't find any Li-ion batteries in AA size. Do you know if any Li-ion battery packs fit the Tachyon?
I recently noticed that a few of my Energizer NiMH batteries are not holding a charge very well anymore. I have a full function multi-meter with a "loaded" battery tester, and some batteries seem to lose 20% of their charge within a few days. Maybe it's time to replace them. Maybe new NiMHs will be fine. Has anyone tried these?

·
Registered
143 Posts
braunschweiger said:

He's happy with the camera, not the footage. That's why he's asking advice. Let's see some of your stuff. :nono:

About 250 videos ago, I uploaded TERRIBLE quality footage to youtube, then I began to learn what formats go well with youtube, and which ones don't. You also learn the tricks, what people lose their interest with, and what they smile about. It just takes time.

Here's my footage from one week ago. You can view it in HQ mode.
http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16347

Another thing about starting to film, you deal with a lot of Ass Hat Trolls who ridicule your footage without having any to show for themselves. They'll say "You guys suck at riding" or "This footage is killing me". For somebody giving such criticism, you'd expect to see how "they do it".

·
Registered
427 Posts
Sombeech said:
About 250 videos ago, I uploaded TERRIBLE quality footage to youtube, then I began to learn what formats go well with youtube, and which ones don't. You also learn the tricks, what people lose their interest with, and what they smile about. It just takes time.

Here's my footage from one week ago. You can view it in HQ mode.
https://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16347
Your video looks great!

I've also learned a lot about shooting videos from this site. For about 8 months now, I've been trying to shoot a night POV mountain bike video. Here's my first sorry attempt:

https://www.onetruemedia.com/share_view_player?p=5b9d5c6341056772d00df7
Make video montages at www.OneTrueMedia.com

Here's my latest:

Night Mountain Ride (HD) from Bri on Vimeo.

Interesting enough - that is the same light in both videos. The camera makes a huge difference.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.