Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was browsing the internet looking for general bike information and stumbled upon this forum, which seemed to be full of great knowledge. I've never been a rider but thought it would be a fun thing to try out. I didn't know if I'd love it or hate it though, so I didn't want to spend a bunch of money to find out. I bought a vintage road bike project off CL for $35 and am preparing to get it road worthy as soon as I finish up some other projects around the house. I know this is a mountain bike forum, but the vintage road bike thread lured me here.

So I do exercise regularly but I can't say I enjoy it. I have lost nearly 100lbs over the course of about two years and have hit a plateau. I could knock 200 calories off my daily allowance, but I'd rather up the workout. I have a stationary recumbent with the built in fan and speakers and so on, but I think I want to ride around the neighborhood, and if I stick to it and build up some endurance, ride in some local rides. And if not, no big deal. Hoping the total cost of the bike after being rebuilt is under $150, which I'll probably be able to recoup on Craigslist if I decide to.

I've built bicycles before, just nothing this delicate. I've built children's bicycles, BMX bikes, beach cruisers, and lowrider bikes. I've done a little bit of tricky stuff before, I've custom laced wheels and modified parts. I understand how these bikes work just fine, but I figure I'll be on Youtube quite a bit when it comes to adjusting the brakes and gears. I probably won't want to lace these wheels since they look so tiny, a slight microscopic wobble can probably fold it like a taco while I'm on it.

So here I am, hope I don't annoy you guys too much with my newbie questions and comments, I'll try to keep them to a minimum :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.