Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Just a quick introduction :)

My name is Dario, I'm from Miami Florida, and the first time I did Mt biking was back in highschool. I loved it but once I graduated I stopped going, then one day I said dammit I want to go biking again, but my bikes suspensions (Porsche bike S) crapped out on me and it was going to be too expensive to fix, so it kinda died out. Then recently I came across a cannondale F6 (I'll post pics) which needed a little love and decided to start again. I am going this week-end after at least 5 years of absence from the trails and recovering from a knee injury due to a snowboarding accident, so wish me luck!

I have a tech question. On my old porsche bike there are some nice Magura Hydraulic brakes, and since the bike is not usable anymore, I thought of putting those on the cannondale. But before I venture on this swap, do you think they will fit? Are the supports for brakes standard on every mt bike so that you can put different brake systems on?

Thank you!

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
What crapped out on your Porsche S? They were pretty simple single pivot designs made by Votec so you may be able to resurrect it.

As far as the brakes, I don't remember if those are 51mm IS mounts or not. If they are you should be able to mount them up to the C'dale, though you may need an adapter and larger rotor for the front.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The suspensions bottomed down and they don't go up anymore, as if the springs inside have lost the support and kinda slide inside the tube.

The brakes aren't disc brakes, they're the V type. I'll try to post pics as soon as possible maybe that will help.

·
Registered
390 Posts
hi...
congrats on your return to mtbing.
but i have to ask...you got a porsche mtb when you were a kid in high school? hmmm!
anyway...a couple years ago i got a bug up my ass for a porsche mtb, wanted 1 of their full sus bikes cuz they were sposed to be so advanced for their time. but seemed that everybody has 1 of those thinks they are worth a fortune as a rare collectible. so i went looking for the s model & found a few but on all of them the triple clamp front fork was always shot.
i too thought it should be an easy rebuild but got nowhere. due to the age & rarity there was no replacement parts availability. so i gave it up.
regarding the brakes you have to keep in mind since they are hydro rim brakes. they are kinda unusual & while magura still makes them, almost all current mtbs are discs. what does your "new" cannondale take? for the life of me i can not remember if those old porsche maguras were standard v-brake mounts & hardware or not.
ironically there is a guy who's been trying to sell a porsche bike s for months on fort lauderdale craiglist. guess what...the fork is shot :lol:
good luck & have fun...

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
MtDude said:
The suspensions bottomed down and they don't go up anymore, as if the springs inside have lost the support and kinda slide inside the tube.

The brakes aren't disc brakes, they're the V type. I'll try to post pics as soon as possible maybe that will help.
The shock needs to be serviced, contact Risse for a rebuild or replacement.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
markaitch said:
hi...
congrats on your return to mtbing.
but i have to ask...you got a porsche mtb when you were a kid in high school? hmmm!

regarding the brakes you have to keep in mind since they are hydro rim brakes. they are kinda unusual & while magura still makes them, almost all current mtbs are discs. what does your "new" cannondale take? for the life of me i can not remember if those old porsche maguras were standard v-brake mounts & hardware or not.
My uncle works in a Porsche-Ferrari- Maserati Jaguar Aston Martin dealership, and one of his co-workers had the bike sitting in the garage and just gave it to him, so he gave it to me :) Got really lucky.

As far as brakes on the C'dale, I don't know what year it is, maybe an 06, but they are just the normal old school pull brakes here are some pics:

Here she is

Pics of the brakes

And here are the porsche's brakes

So what do you guys think? Is this swap possible?

·
Rider
8 Posts
It looks like you may be able to swap them out but its hard to say. i would just give it a try and if they wont fit put the original ones back on. its not too much work if you have an idea of what your doing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I'm pretty mechanically inclined I have a motorcycle and I do all the work myself... I'll try it out. Thanks, I just wanted to know if it was actually possible before I start taking stuff off, I certainly don't want to waste my time...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.