Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
07 White 575 w/ enduro race package and a few tweeks...

tweeks include:
Fox DHX Air
Fox Talas 32 RLC
Chirs King
Sram X.9 instead of the X.O rear derailleur.

I'm also looking at the Specialized Enduro SL and Stumpy Experts. How well does the 575 compare to these for a some what xc/all mountain bike. I've ridden both the Specialized and they both feel amazing. I have yet to ride the 575, but the guy at my local shop highly recommended it.

I'm 6'2 around 195lbs, the only thing I'm concerned with is how well these air/oil shocks handle the occasional drop from say 5ft. I'm not planning on doing any crazy downhill stuff, but would like to know that if I were to try, the shocks would hold up. I'm not talking about dropping straight to flat, just the occasional large drop with a decent transition for a landing.

I've been into bmx/freestyle when I was younger. Just starting to get back into biking.

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
The Stumpy and Enduro are sweet rides too.. but I love my 575 :D ... if you have the skills for being a smooth "lander" and some nice transition.. I guess the 575 can take it (with the help of the DHX's boost valve)...

·
Livin' the Dream
506 Posts
I think the 575 w/ the DHX would suit your needs perfectly. It handles more like a xc bike despite it's travel, but as Crisillo said, the DHX would allow you to handle the occasional 5 ft. drop. I owned a Stumpy FSR and swore by it until August 30, 2006, my first ride on my new 575.:p

·
Registered
81 Posts
my build is close, Hope pros, and a float, DHX air. I was was looking at the Stumpy and enduro's too. The 575 fit my riding style better. I was told if you are smooth 5 foot should be cool. I was told by some guys at my LBS, the 575 can handle downhills at Keystone.
I would like to get a 36 Vanilla for Moab.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, going back to the shop tomorrow to see how soon they can get one as spec'd. The shop said Yeti didn't have any White 575 frames, how long does it usually take to get one in? Also, does anyone know when they start using the '08 components? If it's not too far off I might just wait.
Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just ordered a turquiose large Enduro pro this week. I was quoted 3 weeks lead time on the Ano black but didn't inquire about white. Turquoise was my first choice and was instock. Got to represent if I'm riding a Yeti.:thumbsup: I know they are shippig with the 08 RP23 and 08 Talas. Not sure on the rest of the components though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did some final pricing today. They are shipping with the 08 Talas, but not the 08 DHX Air. Going tomorrow to try out the 575. They also said they are getting more white frames in a couple weeks. :) Anyone know if there's a big difference between the 07 and 08 DHX Air?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks hockey, So looking at the '07 DHXa, I'm going to asume that the 575 dhx option is for the 4.0 and not the 5.0. The '07 4.0 doesn't have the bottom-out resistance, but the 08 does. I think I might just wait for the '08s, unless Yeti is using the '07 5.0's.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Having second thoughts on going with the DHXa over the RP23. I rode both yesterday and both shocks felt great, but adjusting the RP23 was a lot easier. Reading some of the reviews on here it seems people like the RP23 a lot better than the DHXa, both for adjustability and the overall feel.

I'm thinking if I have problems with the RP23 I'll just send it out to get Pushed. They have a bottom out bushing that they can put in and people have said it performs better than their old DHXa. Opinions....?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
IBG said:
Having second thoughts on going with the DHXa over the RP23. I rode both yesterday and both shocks felt great, but adjusting the RP23 was a lot easier. Reading some of the reviews on here it seems people like the RP23 a lot better than the DHXa, both for adjustability and the overall feel.

I'm thinking if I have problems with the RP23 I'll just send it out to get Pushed. They have a bottom out bushing that they can put in and people have said it performs better than their old DHXa. Opinions....?
I want to say RP23 all the way but looking back I see you may throw 5 ft jumps on your bike and that is way beyond my limits.
Need to see who is in this capacity and what they weigh. I heard the DHX better ressits bottoming.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've been running my regular old RP3 for more than a year with at least 2 five ft drops per ride (not to flat tho) with no probs...Ever. I did, however decide not to use quite as much sag as recommended for my 195-200 lbs.

I recently replaced my Fox 32 with a 36 TALAS and I think the bike is a much sweeter ride for it. Esp since I can change head-tube angle with a flick of a lever and a pump of the bars.

My LBS says you can actually order the 36 as part of your build kit. I highly recommend doing so. I've posted some pics (mostly of the fork): here

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
xxxbike said:
I've been running my regular old RP3 for more than a year with at least 2 five ft drops per ride (not to flat tho) with no probs...Ever. I did, however decide not to use quite as much sag as recommended for my 195-200 lbs.

I recently replaced my Fox 32 with a 36 TALAS and I think the bike is a much sweeter ride for it. Esp since I can change head-tube angle with a flick of a lever and a pump of the bars.

My LBS says you can actually order the 36 as part of your build kit. I highly recommend doing so. I've posted some pics (mostly of the fork): here
Great!. How much % sag do you run?. Do you bottom your RP3 on these jumps?.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't sag so much these days

I think the standard sag allowance is 1/4 of the shock's travel. I'm running more like 3/16. Not a huge difference, but enough that bottom out only rarely. Like once every other ride. If the drops came immediately after a bunch of stutter bumps, I might bang more often since I do run more rebound damping than some.

Fortunately, the drops in question have nice smooth run-ins.
DirtyBike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.