Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmm…

So this happened - fully vaccinated, total of 20 minutes in two different stores (small retail places), limited contact with vaccinated co-workers during the period of time which I presumably became infected with SARS-CoV-2 (late July). It manifested itself (to me) as an allergy attack, but when it didn't go away after a few days I took a PCR test. I only infected my vaccinated wife (several other close contacts - all vaccinated - escaped infection) and we both had mild symptoms with the biggest hassle being having to deal with the isolation/quarantine protocol. And I missed my A-race of the summer. I don't know where I caught it - bad luck (statistics suck) or bad genetics (particularly susceptible). But thank god for the vaccine!

I came out of quarantine ready to ride (and run), but the Air Quality was horrible - averaging 150 on PurpleAir.com. Yuck. The smoke from the fires in California have settled into the Rockies.

The fix for both of these problems - wear a N95 or KN95 mask. I habitually wore a mask through the early stages of the pandemic, but backed off using it religiously once I was fully vaccinated. Last year during fire season I wore an N95 mask for a few days on my daily run when the local fires were casting smoke and ash our way. And I've been running 2 to 3 miles a day for the past several days wearing an N95 mask with an exhalation valve (easier to breath heavily in but not appropriate for use in public to prevent spread of COVID). I've also did a MTB ride wearing a mask with out any significant discomfort (12 miles, 1200 feet of climbing at an elevation of 8200 - 9000 feet). Would I prefer to not wear a mask? Sure, but breathing in crappy air is far worse. And getting COVID is far worse.

So…lesson learned - a good fitting high-quality N95 or KN95 mask is my new (old) friend. As is the COVID vaccine.

·
Registered
223 Posts
This is timely. I just got a box of N-95s delivered today. They really fit a lot tighter than the standard disposables. These don't have valves. I couldn't imagine riding with one on. I'd been wearing a cloth mask over the throwaways for most of the pandemic. And, like you, got a bit complacent which included forgetting to wear a mask sometimes. I live in the heart of Antivaxxistan and expect the Delta variant to run amok through this population. You actually get dirty looks here for wearing a mask. Maybe 10% of people in the grocery store mask-up. A friend in Anchorage told me today that 70% (his anecdotal) of people in the grocery he goes to mask-up. Time to move back to AK. I'll get a few N-95s with valves and see how those work for riding.

·
Evolutionsverlierer
3,089 Posts
If you can smell a fart while wearing a mask.... it's not working.
Maybe not the smell but the particles that come with that will not enter.😛

I also let my guard done yesterday and ended up being exposed to at least one person with covid.

Everyone was fully vaccinated but that unfortunately does not help against spreading so I am organizing things so it at least stops with me on my end.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.