Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time rider, I'm 6'4" 250 lbs looking to buy either a Gary Fisher X-Caliber or Specialized Rock Hopper Pro, any opinions on which is best? Or maybe another big suggestion?

Thanks, looking forward to start riding this spring!!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the X-cal so of those 2 I'd go for the rockhopper, but there are other options in that price range if you aren't stuck on them.
Buying new or used?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Now that I think about it more, if you are really wanting one of those I'd see about getting a Specialized Stumpjumper for a few hundred more, its a great bike under $2k.
I think retail to retail between those is about $500 but if your shop has a couple of stumpy's around that gap might only be a couple hundred bucks and its worth it, the stumpy frame is substantially better than the rockhopper.

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
Ride them and make up your own mind. If it isn't obvious which one works best for you after riding, go with the Fisher. Because IMHO it rides more like a bike than the Specialized. And by that I mean it doesn't wallow and flop it's front end about like a 29er with 26er geometry.

But then again, that's MY opinion. Others may feel differently.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
madsedan said:
I'm not a big fan of the X-cal so of those 2 I'd go for the rockhopper, but there are other options in that price range if you aren't stuck on them.
Buying new or used?
Most likely new, Yes if you have some simliar suggestions, I would love to hear them. I'm up for anything, just looking to get a great product for that price range.

Thanks for your help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.