Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a noobie on here. I joined back in 2012 when my husband and I both bought our very first good Specialized bikes. We started riding at the Great Allegheny Passage which was just 10 minutes from our house by car! We had not been back on here since then because we made a HUGE leap and moved to St. Marys Ohio August 2012. Between riding bikes at the GAP, packing then moving everything was forgotten for time being.

I was searching for videos on Youtube for Hocking Hills Mountain Bike Trails and I saw MTBR in the video subscription. I remembered that I had joined here as well as my husband.

Hopefully I will be a regular. We have not done any hard core bike rides in the last year or so been working odd hours as a temp 12 hour shifts 7pm to 7am. That sucked big time. I got laid off due to lack of production. Was out of work for a full month before getting another job through the temp working normal hours. I rode bikes to work and back.

Top off working the nasty hours my husband herniated his disk in L4 and L5 a year ago. Has been out of work due to it, waiting on the Orthopedic doctor through the VA to get him going. He is eager to get back on his bike again. Winter this year was very brutal, bogged us both down big time and the weather is not letting up here gloomy cold days. we live right of the largest lake of Ohio so the breeze is cold.

Any of you here have herniated disk able to ride bikes comfortably until surgery?

We are looking for some bike friends in Northwest Ohio to get together when I have off work which is weekends or after 6:3pm mon through fri.

Well hope to meet new friends
Angel

·
Registered
167 Posts
My Herniated Disc was L5 - S1 so it's only one vertebrae lower. I had the surgery in 1989 and have been very active ever since. Last year I was on the bike 200 days and on skis 25. Not everyone recovers as well as I did but I think most people do. I have friends who ride regularly that have had the surgery. It helps to keep fit and stay near your ideal weight. Core strength is also important. Hope it all works out you for you.
I wasn't able to do anything prior to the surgery as I was in a very bad way.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Roy! He is still waiting on the Va. If he don't get anything moving by the time end of summer rolls in he is going to a doctor of his choice with my insurance I got through my job. I got the highest ins when I got hired at the new job so he can get his back fixed.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
The VA is going to drag their heals.. I've seen it with my friends it's embarrassing.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
The VA can be hit or miss I think.

I was pretty surprised and impressed on how much they were following up with me on some things. But that might've been more then ten years ago.

If I were to base things off of my most recent experience with them, I might have a slightly more negative opinion on them.

I don't use them for primary healthcare though. I used to know someone who did and they were big fans of the VA. But this was more then ten years ago too and I think their biggest factor was the cost.

Good luck with everything and welcome back to the board!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you both very much. He only went there until I started my new job and got benefits so he can have a back up plan.

·
DFL
1,398 Posts
Good luck with the VA, I'll just say I'm less than thrilled with the care I get at mine. We decided to spend the money to add me to my wife's insurance because of it. Good luck with him getting back on the bike too. There's nothing more frustrating than not being able to do something because of an injury or the recovery that follows.

Sent from my iPad while drinking the kool aid.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Today was the first time we both got on our bikes. Man we felt it in our legs about 10 mins into the ride. lol Tells ya we are pretty much out of shape. He said that it felt good to get back on the bike and he did not have major back pain or anything. So it looks like he can ride his bike until he gets his back fixed. :) he has gained some of the weight back that he had loss that he worked hard loosing for 2 years. I know having weight hurts the back more as well. So hopefully he can bike while i am at work during the day. I work 9:30am to 6:30pm so it is odd hours. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts