Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I am SUCH a geek.
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Carolinians!

I just got back into mountain biking after a 10-year hiatus. I have a Trek 4300 which I just picked up today from the local Trek shop here in Raleigh. My wife has had a Specialized Rockhopper for a few years, but she's just starting up again too. We're looking to begin with some easy trails here in the Triangle area and would eventually like to take a trip to the mountains for some more advanced biking sometime down the road.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Welcome back to MTBing.

If you haven't already, check out:

www.trianglemtb.com

There is a lot of info on triangle trails there and a pretty active forum.

For beginner singletrack, I would start with Lake Crabtree and Harris Lake. There's also Umstead and The American Tobacco Trail for building up stamina. These two are not singletrack though, but are nice for getting in some miles without the roots, rocks, etc.

The local club in RDU is TORC:
www.torc-nc.org

TORC will have groups rides for all levels from time-to-time, including women's rides. All the info for these are posted on either of the above sites.

·
I am SUCH a geek.
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lake Crabtree Park is where we wanted to hit first. Looks like they have some nice beginner trails.

Thanks for the welcome and the websites. I'll definitely check them out. :)

·
sit! stay!
1,125 Posts
Harris Lake County Park also has some nice trails for getting back into riding again...

DOH, i guess slippery pete already recommended that...

·
Registered
11 Posts
If your willing to drive a little The Bicycle Post in Greenville has some nice trails set up. I also recently just got back into MTB after about 10 years out. Unfortunately for me I do not have military access, but if you can get on Cherry Point (Pirana Pit) or Camp Lejeune (The Brig Trail), I hear lots of good things about both of the coarses.

Check out www.downeastcyclingclub.com
www.ecvelo.org
for details

Because The Bicycle Post trails are on private property you do need to sign an liability waiver and either pay $3/person/ride or a family membership is $35. I have been able to get up there from New Bern about twice/week. I have been on most of these trails, lots of technical stuff, log crossings. There is a nice play area in the back of the trails, good teeters. The crew that has been maintaining the trails have put in some nice little bridges and a wooden banked corner on the BC Loop.

Hope to see you there sometime

Nick

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey neighbor. I'm a recent newb to mountain biking. I've only been to the Garner Recreational Park so far. It is fun. Tried out the trails over there the last few weekends on Fridays and Saturdays mostly. It's never been crowded yet anyway. I've not seen more than one or two other bikes on each trip. Usually none.
I do want to go check out Crabtree one weekend soon.
Welcome and have fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.