Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Just joined the site and have also just ordered my custom-built Flux which will hopefully arrive in the next week or two (photos to follow).

For those interested, the spec reads as follows:-

Flux frame - size large - raw finish
RS Revelation RLT 20mm Maxle Lite (tuned down to 120mm travel) - white with Poploc
Hope headset (red)
Thomson 90mm X4 stem (black)
Thomson Elite 410mm layback seatpost (black)
Easton EA70 Monkeybars (white)
WTB saddle of some description (will change to Charge Ti in due course)
Stans Crest rims (white) on Hope Pro II EVO hubs (red) with black DT Comp spokes (20mm front axle, QR on the back)
Nobbly Nic Snakeskin tyres
Full 2011 Deore XT 10-speed groupset with disc brakes (160mm rotors)
Shimano SPD's

I'm quite excited by it as I feel it is altogether more original than the Trek Fuels and Giant Anthems that everyone in this part of the world seems to ride (UK - New Forest). The last bike of a similar ilk I had built was a Dirtworks Monster D/H rig complete with massive Hannebrink UD forks... again, US-made and very original.

The Flux will be my 'all-day' bike and will fit in amongst my Cannondale Caad 5-framed 1x9geared xc whippet, my steel-framed On-One Inbred singlespeed playbike and my beloved Colnago tarmac mile-muncher.

So hello to you all and I look forward to asking lots of questions about the Flux and Turner in general once I get out on the trail on my new steed.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Welcome from a fellow UK rider.

Nice looking build - raw, red and white. White seems to be the new black in bike build terms, during the last year

I take it you were between sizes given the relatively long stem and long lay back post.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup.. am just a whisker under 6'1" with a 34" inner seam and quite long arms... i've basically tried to recreate the geometry of my cannondale caad5 xc bike (which is a large size and has a FSA inline carbon seatpost with the saddle pushed right back and a 110mm 0-rise stem) but with perhaps a cm or two less reach... it is an experiment ultimately and i may have to swap seatposts and stems in due course (have been wondering whether a 90mm stem would be better)... oh well... guess i had better try it an see.

thoughts, advice and experiences would always be most welcome!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Nice build. Should rip-it.

I'd plan on a longer stem. I bet with the 90mm and layback you'll be un-weighting the front and under-steering and lifting on climbs.

Try the WTB Silverado. You might forget the Charge after trying this one.

I'd try Time pedals. I rode just yesterday with my buddy who had XTR's. In was wet as crap and he found it hard to click in where I with Time's and had no problems. No doubt Time's are a better bet in the mud. The XTR's rust once scratched and look like crap. The little adjusting bolts round out as well.

Also why not mix up the group and try Formula brakes, or Magura Martas. Both will be lighter than XT (and work better IMO) and can be had for great value. I am loving my Formula RX's.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
therollex said:
Hi, at 6.1 did you compare the large to x-large?
i prefer a slightly smaller frame than a larger, so as i was 'between' sizes, i thought i would go with the smaller.

i have opted for the 410mm thomson seatpost as i have read that the flux should have at least 100mm of seatpost in the seat-tube. i could have got away with the slightly shorter seatpost, but at least here i will have some flexibility.

re. my groupset choice... this was down to the build budget... i got a storming deal on a full 2011 groupset - effectively half price. in an ideal world, i would have mixed and matched as i would liked to have had a 2x10 groupset and a bigger front brake rotor (i rarely use my back brake)... but with a total build cost of US$3,460 (at today's exchange rates), I can't really complain too much!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hi, 6ft here. On my large flux I had a lot of seat post showing, just wondering if you tried both. Nice build kit by the way

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cheers Richard,

the bike should hopefully arrive tomorrow so i can finally see how it all fits together... i'm not 100% sure about the layback thomson post, but i can always find someone to swap with if needs be.

how do you get on with the 100mm stem and 120mm forks? my spec ended up with a 100mm thomson stem.

cheers

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well it's arrived!

i haven't had a chance to ride it yet, but it definitely looks the part.

just a few questions though...

1.) do i need frame protection patches or helitape on a raw frame?
2.) what do i clean the frame with?
3.) do i need to go back to Turner to get hold of some more of those black plastic cable guide clips?

onwards and upwards!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts