Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Long time lurker and 2nd post (posted in the Newbie bit already :))
Ok a question to the masses. I am looking at two bikes at the moment (Santa Cruz Tallboy LTa and the new Kona Process 153DL) I have tested both bikes and love both bikes (I do a mixture of UK Trail Centers and some off piste singletrack and have only room for one 'Do It All' bike)
At the start of the year I tested out the TBLT and loved it so ordered a Frame (plan is to use my current Canyon for the majority of parts (expect of course the fork and wheels)) back in Feb (delays with SC making/shipping frames) But the other week a mate suggested that I give the Kona Process 153DL a go, which I did and again loved how it felt and how it handled. I know the two bikes are completely different and now I don't know what to do (did some man maths and with buying a new fork, going to 2x10 instead of 3x10, wheels etc for the SC Built) I am about £500 cheaper than buying the Kona.
The problem is that with the Kona being so scarce in Scotland, if I wanted the bike I had to put a holding deposit down on the bike but then I got a call from the shop that I ordered the SC from to say that the frame was due in this week. So now I am left with the dilemma of choosing one (baring in mind the SC was ordered back in Feb but no money was exchanged)
So the question is for you? Would stick with the original plan of the SC or go with the Kona, knowing well that you would have to call one shop to let them know that you are not going ahead with the bike.
Help!!
Alex

·
Registered
14,044 Posts
Get both. Ride, make your choice and sell the one you no longer need.
No lbs was injured in the making of this decision.
Or leave it up to the manager of the first shop at his discretion.

Some people find their favorite bike this way. Demoing is a less expensive method when possible.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,035 Posts
A SC in any platform is a better bike than a Kona.

I never thought I'd see the day when SC and Kona were in the same sentence for comparison.

Reactions: Mr5150

·
I like pie.
585 Posts
A SC in any platform is a better bike than a Kona.

I never thought I'd see the day when SC and Kona were in the same sentence for comparison.
I agree. The problem with SC is the wait time. When I ordered my Superlight I was told "two weeks" about six times in succession. Worth the wait.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,035 Posts
I agree. The problem with SC is the wait time. When I ordered my Superlight I was told "two weeks" about six times in succession. Worth the wait.
Yes definitely worth the wait. Just be patient and you will be happier in the long run.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Kona Process seems to have a lot of good reviews. The Process is more of an enduro/all mountain bike. The Tallboy is more of a trail/xc bike. How long has it been since you tested the SC? Soon enough to have a memory of what it felt like on the same trail you rode the Process? They are bikes for 2 completely different styles of riding.

If your trails have climbs, single track, and tight switchbacks then i would go for the SC. If your trails are more jumps, rocks/roots, and downhill then i would go for the Process. Both bikes CAN be used for the same riding, but, they excel in the noted conditions more than the other.

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
I vote Tallboy Carbon. You can build it up light and its even great for riding the Lake District.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Forgot to add, the SC Bronson would be more comparable to the Kona Process. And the Kona Satori would be comparable to the Tallboy. This is why i said they are really 2 different bikes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments. I know the bikes are completely different and that is why I am so confused about it as they both work well for me, the ride on the TBLT is still fresh in my mind as is the Kona. Maybe I should have gone for the Bronson in the first instance as it was always a bike that I wanted. Damm it!! :)
Alex

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,425 Posts
The Santa Cruz is a better bike, and because you have already ordered it, then there is not point to not buy it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts