Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hello all!!! Is my chain to loose? This bike is a month old

2116 Views 13 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Traildude09
Hello everyone! Hope this finds you well. I was wondering if the chain on my specialized rockhopper 29 sport is to loose. This bike is a month old. There is no tension on the pedals at this point as the bike sits naturally. I am on 1and8
Wheel Bicycle Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel
See less See more
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
You should never have sag in your chain. Either something isn't correctly adjusted or the chain is not properly sized.
With a triple chainring in the front you are not supposed to be in that gear combination. That is small to small. You are only supposed to use the granny (smallest chainring) for only the lowest gears. Also you are not supposed to use the largest chainring with the lowest cog on the cassette, i.e. big to big. The chain may in fact not be properly sized but also the rear derailleur may not have the capacity to take up that much slack. There are some videos on youtube by Park Tool Company on how to properly size a chain so the first thing I would do is see if it is the correct size.
With a triple chainring in the front you are not supposed to be in that gear combination. That is small to small. You are only supposed to use the granny (smallest chainring) for only the lowest gears. Also you are not supposed to use the largest chainring with the lowest cog on the cassette, i.e. big to big. The chain may in fact not be properly sized but also the rear derailleur may not have the capacity to take up that much slack. There are some videos on youtube by Park Tool Company on how to properly size a chain so the first thing I would do is see if it is the correct size.
It's a double so not sure if that makes a difference? I'm new to mountain biking
You should never have sag in your chain. Either something isn't correctly adjusted or the chain is not properly sized.
I will have to take it back to the shop I got it from. Maybe a factory defect?
It's a double so not sure if that makes a difference? I'm new to mountain biking
But the bike is only a month old . Maybe a factory defect?
it really applies to doubles, too. small-small is a bad gear combo. it's replicated in the big ring, anyway, for a better chainline/tension.
That's a lot of crap on the chain for only a month. A lot of paint wear too.
it really applies to doubles, too. small-small is a bad gear combo. it's replicated in the big ring, anyway, for a better chainline/tension.
Oh ok. This is good to know! I think I need to learn how to shift !
Well not sure. But the chain has been smacking about alot. I have about 200 miles on it now . I ride gravel trails. Never crashed it . Everything wipes clean
A photo that includes the entire drivetrain would optimize armchair diagnosis.
=sParty
Reactions: 3
Looks like there has been a fair amount of chain suck too for gravel rides. Usually shops want you to come back a month or so after purchase to readjust the shifting after the cables have stretched. Maybe have them take a look at the chain length too.
I suspect over-lubrication. I did it for years. if ppl aren't wildly under-lubricating, they're usually going too far the other direction. not surprised about the wear if OP is using this gear combo while riding, which will result in a LOT of chain slap.
Definitely post a photo of your entire drivetrain with the chain looking like that. Makes it easier for us to see the whole picture.

Chains do stretch a little bit as they are broken in. One of my bike shops does a 30 day inspection for free after you purchase a bike from them. Their customers bring the bike back to them after 30 days and the shop adjusts the chain, cables, and check everything else to ensure the bike is good to go. Looking at your photo, it's hard to say whether the chain is stretched or it wasn't adjusted properly from the shop. Probably comes down to how much riding you did in just 30 days. Some of my friends bought bikes from a local bike shop and they didn't give them the courtesy of a drivetrain adjustment before the bike left the shop. I ended up doing it for them so they can ride it.
See less See more
Definitely post a photo of your entire drivetrain with the chain looking like that. Makes it easier for us to see the whole picture.

Chains do stretch a little bit as they are broken in. One of my bike shops does a 30 day inspection for free after you purchase a bike from them. Their customers bring the bike back to them after 30 days and the shop adjusts the chain, cables, and check everything else to ensure the bike is good to go. Looking at your photo, it's hard to say whether the chain is stretched or it wasn't adjusted properly from the shop. Probably comes down to how much riding you did in just 30 days. Some of my friends bought bikes from a local bike shop and they didn't give them the courtesy of a drivetrain adjustment before the bike left the shop. I ended up doing it for them so they can ride it.
Yes sir that is what happened. I took it to the a bike shop yesterday and it shifts perfect now. It's also it alittle user error on me . I know now that I should not be on the little chain ring in the front and the smallest one in the back. I am going to do a 1×10 coverstion to it. I just feel that is the best fit for me
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.