Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, im new here and to the mountain biking and i love it!

Ok so a quick intro, so i purchased the bike to get in shape (specialized rockhopper expert 29er). Im 28 havnt been on a bike since i was like 15. So i went into a local shop told them i wanted a bike i could maybe commute and hit some trails every now and then. So they pointed me towards the bike i have which is awesome. But now that ive been riding it i think i should have gotten a full suspension bike! I dont do any commuting just trail riding, i came to the conclusion after riding trails that the road is BORING haha.

Now the reason i think i need a full suspension ive noticed when i mob down trails the ass is all over the place just think maybe with a full suspension bike i could mob down faster and alot easier.... right?

So now that i have this bike, the components seem to be pretty good, im thinking about maybe just buying a full suspension 29er frame and switch everything over and then later purchase the front fork with more travel.

So heres the question, what would be a good frame to purchase and being new to the scene its nuts how expensive these things get soo i want something fairly priced hehe.

im 6 foot bout 250 if that helps, also the terrain here is mountain desert super rocky .

let me know guys what ya think! thanks, great site!

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
1st29er said:
.....purchased the bike to get in shape (specialized rockhopper expert 29er). Im 28 havnt been on a bike since i was like 15. So i went into a local shop told them i wanted a bike i could maybe commute and hit some trails every now and then. So they pointed me towards the bike i have which is awesome. But now that ive been riding it i think i should have gotten a full suspension bike! I dont do any commuting just trail riding, i came to the conclusion after riding trails that the road is BORING haha...
Based on that, the Stumpjumper FSR 29er! That is going to be my next bike....currently on a Rockhopper Disc Comp 29er and lovin it but also hittin lots of super techy singletrack and lots of rocks and roots. Saving for my FS. :thumbsup:

You say you want to save $$$, buying a better bike instead of swapping allyour parts is the best way to go for the long term. Keep your current bike for backup and smoother trails.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Frame

I have a 08 Turner Sultan in the Classifieds
British Racing green, original retail of 2049.
its for sale for 1150
If you going full susser then my two cents is spend the money right and once
and get a good frame..
check the Turner forum for advice and reviews...
Cheers..
ttp://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=29432&cat=7

·
Registered
578 Posts
1st29er said:
Now the reason i think i need a full suspension ive noticed when i mob down trails the ass is all over the place just think maybe with a full suspension bike i could mob down faster and alot easier.... right?
Spending more time on the hardtail learning how to ride it faster will make you a better rider. Some people prefer a hardtail, less maintenance and simplicity being one reason, another is the way they ride. But yes... if you want faster the easier way, go full suspension.

I would suggest coming up with a budget and then match your choices to that.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
1st29er said:
Hello all, im new here and to the mountain biking and i love it!

Ok so a quick intro, so i purchased the bike to get in shape (specialized rockhopper expert 29er). Im 28 havnt been on a bike since i was like 15. So i went into a local shop told them i wanted a bike i could maybe commute and hit some trails every now and then. So they pointed me towards the bike i have which is awesome. But now that ive been riding it i think i should have gotten a full suspension bike! I dont do any commuting just trail riding, i came to the conclusion after riding trails that the road is BORING haha.

So now that i have this bike, the components seem to be pretty good, im thinking about maybe just buying a full suspension 29er frame and switch everything over and then later purchase the front fork with more travel.

So heres the question, what would be a good frame to purchase and being new to the scene its nuts how expensive these things get soo i want something fairly priced hehe.

im 6 foot bout 250 if that helps, also the terrain here is mountain desert super rocky .

let me know guys what ya think! thanks, great site!
What's your budget to spend on a FS frame?

Entry level price starts with the sub $1K VooDoo Canza and rockets right on up into the thousands. $1K? $2K? $3K? $4K? $5K? How much do you want to pony up?

Read the 29er FS Shootout (link is over on the right hand side of your screen right about the 29er FAQ link). Search threads on frames such as Niner RIP 9, Niner JET 9, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Astrix Monk, Ventana El Rey, Ventana El Capitan, Lenz Leviathan, Lenz Behemoth, Intense Spider, Kona Hei-Hei, Salsa Big Mama, etc... .

I would expect that a realistic budget for a new full suspension frame is around $1700 - $1900. Less if buying used - which opens up not having to only target those frames that are sold new as frames only.

I would also choose accordingly for your particular weight and avoid the shorter travel XC, marathon oriented full suspension race sleds. Personally, if I was 250, I would start and end my search with something like the Ventana El Capitan. Or, I'd drop 50 pounds (cost is absolutely free in terms of $$$ to do that) and open up my choices without having to worry about flex, durability, etc... .

BB

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dumbaSS said:
Spending more time on the hardtail learning how to ride it faster will make you a better rider. Some people prefer a hardtail, less maintenance and simplicity being one reason, another is the way they ride. But yes... if you want faster the easier way, go full suspension.

I would suggest coming up with a budget and then match your choices to that.
You say the way they ride? I do wanna become a better rider maybe i should stick with this bike a bit, im hoping to go clipless next week so maybe the bouncing around wont be as hairy once im clipped in.

I was probably thinking about 2k if i was going to go with a fs frame.

Also the thing is i love the climbing, yes the downhill return after a hard climb is great also, but climbing is what im diggin and im wondering with the climb is better on a hardtail than on a fs?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
OK, maybe you're enthused and want your own thread, but if you just happen to look not even 1/2 way down this forum first page you'd see the EXACT same question being asked and answered AND if you happened to do a search you find loads of threads on the exact same thing.

·
Registered
119 Posts
LyNx said:
OK, maybe you're enthused and want your own thread, but if you just happen to look not even 1/2 way down this forum first page you'd see the EXACT same question being asked and answered AND if you happened to do a search you find loads of threads on the exact same thing.
Wow, way to rip the guy for no reason. Nice. The guy had a SPECIFIC question about his riding style, size, and budget. Pretty legit thread if you ask me.

I'm new to the 29er world and after a long search, found a barely-used Niner RIP 9 for $799. The deals are out there, keep riding your hardtail until you find the one you want.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.