Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy's haven;t been around on the forum for awile. I just ordered a AM to see what it is all about. This bike is between the CC and the FR. The AM is going to have adjustable travel. The travel setting is going to be (120 4.9 )(135 5.3 )(145 5.7 5.8 )(167 6.6 )which i think are great travel setting. This bike is giong to be a everything bike. I alway's felt that if the cc had a little more it would be the bike of all bikes. That what i hope the AM is going to be. We have been talking with nicolai alot to try to get more bikes here and hopefully it will work. I do have to say the FR is the best bike i have ever been . It is so stable climbing and decending and dropping. But like everything in life you get older and need a little less and that what the AM was geared towards . I will post pictures of the bike when it comes in and a review of the bike. cheers.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
ncig, I see that some AM builds are coming out as heavy as an FR. My older 05 FR weighs 32lb with CCDB. The way I see it, an AM build should come out 30lb or less, otherwise why bother? Like to know your spec.?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am hoping that it comes in less then 30 pounds here is the build.

MED frame
XTR CRANKS
ROCKSHOCK PIKE FORK
CCDB TI SPRING
I9 ENDURO WHEELS
XO SHIFTERS
X9 RDER
THOMPSON X4 STEM

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
The older FR frame was lighter than the beefed up '08 ... so Nicolai needed something to close the gap between CC and the current FR. The result (AM) looks good.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First off are you talking about the white Knolly we sold for CF? Because we have yet to sell any Nicolai on the mtbr. If CF CC sells that would be the first.

·
Registered
539 Posts
ncig said:
I am hoping that it comes in less then 30 pounds here is the build.

MED frame
XTR CRANKS
ROCKSHOCK PIKE FORK
CCDB TI SPRING
I9 ENDURO WHEELS
XO SHIFTERS
X9 RDER
THOMPSON X4 STEM
I would look at different forks, the Pike damping system is not very sophisticated. It can be set for small stuff or big stuff... not both, and even when set for big stuff they can be easily overwhelmed and end up blowing through the travel and going clunk-clunk-clunk as they bounce between bottom out and top out. Feels and sounds horrible on the trail:madman:

Very light though... but if all your worried about is the weight of the thing why not take the internals out out of your forks? That way you can post pictures and boast about the weight of the bike on internet forums without worrying about how it rides:rolleyes:

*pinch of salt* :thumbsup:

·
Registered
635 Posts
I was wondering about the choosen fork myself, on the other hand a proper AM/Enduro air fork with 160mm (Fox Talas, Lyrik 2-Step) is almost twice the price of a Pike air in retail. At least that's how it is here in Germany. Magura's Wotan would come in bit cheaper though.

Anyway, I'm looking very much forward seeing that build !!!

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Which rear travel setting do you plan to use?
Does that affect BB height and/or frame angles?

·
steep fast and loose :)
3,270 Posts
DT Swiss - a'la PACE.
I used to run the PACE equivalent RC41 Fighter on a Cove Hustler. Great fork, sh1tr reliability, and I'll be surprised if DT have amended the reliability as it's based on the PACE internals / modular design. although, i have no evidence on which to base this opinion.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Same here on DT / Pace - ran an RC40 on numerous bikes - back to the factory 3 times!!
Also had problems with Wotans which have now gone back to Magura -apparently this is more widespread than reported.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I have to say I like the Wotans and they have performed really well on my FR. Because I neglected to clean under the seals, they did get gummed-up after 10 months. I sent them back to Magura UK and they serviced them and updated them with the latest damping and applied the new look decals, and did not charge a penny. How's that for service? When I got them back, they needed running in over about 6 rides. They also told me how to lower the legs in order to get out the seals to clean. This needs to be done periodically depending on how much riding/weather conditions you do.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.