Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a roll of this today. I was thinking about using it on the chainstay instead of the neoprene guard that comes with the bike - a little bit cleaner look and a little more tire clearance.

But maybe just helicopter tape isn't enough protection from the chain? Anyone tried it on their mojo?

·
Registered
506 Posts
frameskin

you can get precut, similar material tape from Frameskin. Works great for protecting the whole frame.

For the chainstays, his chainstay protection tape is excellent. The helicopter tape alone won't dampen noise or probably protect adequatly in that area, but the latter is just a guess.

Not sure what his chainstay stuff made of, but it's probably repackaged from some material you can get domestically without paying the shipping etc.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah that frameskin chainstay tape looks like that nice kind of electrical tape. It so happens I already have a roll of that, cool.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I use velcro, well the fluffy side, comes in various widths and colours (I use black). Protects the chain stay and seems to cut down on noise as well :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't know what helicopter tape is but I've been using vinyl electric tape for a while now. No matter how much chain slap you get it doesnt get eaten up and mine has never tried to peel up even after riding in rain, snow, and mud. Looks real clean IMO.

Make sure it's the vinyl kind. Only .50 cents at your local hw store.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yeah, I use a combination of SurfaceGuard 14mil and 8 mil to protect my bike. It's definitely not as tidy as Frameskins since you cut it yourself, but it's a better value, no big deal to replace, and you can layer it however you like.

I have used it successfully as a chainstay guard, but I layer it up there real well.

Alternatively, an old bike shop "trick" I used to use was to buy cloth handlebar tape (it shouldn't be too hard to find some from Cateye) and wrap the chainstay just like a handlebar, except with a lot more overlap. It's very tidy looking if you do it right and dirt cheap compared to helicopter tape.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I emailed Scot and he recommended helicopter tape, so I suspect it's durability is fantastic.

I have used the fuzzy side of industrial velcro (home depot) and loved the results. It's very light, pretty adherent (maybe have to replace every one to two years for agressive DH) and, best of all to me, damps the noise. You can also put a thin strip of weather stripping on the top of the chainstay and then wrap over this with the velcro making for even more noise dampening but decreasing durability.

I like a quiet bike.

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
3,584 Posts
not sure if helicopter tape is the same thing - but get some 2" 3M 2228 Rubber Mastic Tape - that stuff is the best to protect chainstay's from chain slap. It also lasts FOREVER.

Home depot typically carries 1" tape - but for 2" tape you have to order it online.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
not sure if helicopter tape is the same thing - but get some 2" 3M 2228 Rubber Mastic Tape - that stuff is the best to protect chainstay's from chain slap. It also lasts FOREVER.

Home depot typically carries 1" tape - but for 2" tape you have to order it online.
No it's not. The mastic tape has more of a rubbery feel and is much thicker.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Self fusing rescue tape comes in clear and many other colors and you can overlap it pretty thick for more protection. It also doesn't have a sticky residue.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts