Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with helicopter evacuation insurance?

as in, you crash and need to be lifted to a hospital via helicopter. The purpose of the insurance is to help mitigate the high cost of the helicopter ride.

·
always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
Does anyone have experience with helicopter evacuation insurance?

as in, you crash and need to be lifted to a hospital via helicopter. The purpose of the insurance is to help mitigate the high cost of the helicopter ride.
Yep. I also have it in case i have to get airlifted out of a car accident. Worth every penny. I hope i never have to use it.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Given how thrifty KP is, I'd love to hear whet you find. They should be able to point you to the page and line in your policy where they say they cover it.
I have always had Kaiser and was told the same but never trusted it. I have Enloe flight care and have had it since 2005 when I was spending a bunch of time riding motorcycles up at Thunder Hill in willows. I went with Enloe because they would cover rides with any of the air transport companies in the areas I was most likely to be airlifted from (race tracks in this case).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
154 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I use these guys because they specifically service the track that I race motorcycles at most often: REACH Air Medical Services - Emergency air medical services

Never had to use them (fortunately). Been a while since I researched this, but my understanding is the insurance only covers this particular provider. If a different provider (helicopter with a different service) showed up - for whatever reason - I don't think the flight would be covered. I have a Reach Air sticker on the front of my helmet so that a medical responder would know I have coverage through that provider and to contact them first if a flight was needed.

I'd suggest reaching out to them (no pun intended) to get some details.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
24,864 Posts
I use these guys because they specifically service the track that I race motorcycles at most often: REACH Air Medical Services - Emergency air medical services

Never had to use them (fortunately). Been a while since I researched this, but my understanding is the insurance only covers this particular provider. If a different provider (helicopter with a different service) showed up - for whatever reason - I don't think the flight would be covered. I have a Reach Air sticker on the front of my helmet so that a medical responder would know I have coverage through that provider and to contact them first if a flight was needed.

I'd suggest reaching out to them (no pun intended) to get some details.
Dang, $65 a year for seniors? Why not???

·
Registered
390 Posts
I use AirMedCare. Only covers theirs, so it doesn't cover the Stanford heli or whatever is around here. I've also been told 50-50 chance.

You don't get a choice over who comes, even with a sticker on your helmet. I believe they take turns unless one is much closer than the other.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
41,051 Posts
As said before, it's important to realize that this generally only covers one or a few providers. You don't really get to choose the provider in an emergency situation, they call the first available. In an area, you may have more providers than you know about. This becomes an even bigger problem when you travel. The biggest helicopter provider in the US is Air Methods, but they often use all sorts of different names on the insurance and it may or may not cover them outside your local area.

This is what's F-ed up with our health care system. If you have health care, you should never have any outrageous lifeflight bills. It just shouldn't be a thing.

It's a few thousand dollars/hour just to operate the helicopter with it's crew (including maintenance, storage, etc.). That doesn't include the expensive medical equipment and any medical training/costs associated. And if the helicopter is not used at least a few hours a day, it tends to lose money. If there was anything that should be subsidized and regulated to ensure equal access and reasonable health care cost...well, all of health care I guess.

·
Registered
154 Posts
To complicate the issue, air ambulances are not regulated like ground ambulances. One of the differences are that they are not required to pick you up. Some will run your credit to determine if you can pay tens of thousands out of pocket. Then they get to name the price for the ride, there are no set fees (unless you are on Medicare). NPR has a “bill of the month “ series which has educated me a lot on this and other health related topics. I encourage people to get up to speed on this if they feel they are at risk of ever needing an air ambulance.

·
Registered
20,187 Posts
We have two competing air ambulance companies in Oregon that don’t have reciprocity any more, and it’s a matter of chance which one shows up to haul your butt to the hospital. Therefore, I’ve purchased a membership with both. It’s $$$$ but a hell of a lot less than paying out of pocket and considering how much time I spend in the outdoors it was kind of a clear decision to just pay the man.

·
I dig trails!
5,541 Posts
Kaiser will cover your air ambulance cost if other methods of transport will further harm or risk the life of the injured person. It covered my ride from hospital to hospital with a C2 fracture.

Some things everyone should be aware of:

• Some areas/towns in the mountains will not be served by ground transportation - it's airlift ambulance only. Towns like Downieville.
  • Some air flight insurance want you to pre-approve the flight with them (yeah right.)
  • There is a flight group insurance, can't remember the name now. It covers multiple flight ambulance companies.
  • 1 flight is $52,000

P

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.