Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
beater
5,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Helena: Spring 2014

We've been seeing inquiries about trail conditions on FB, so I figured it's worth a post here. Helena trails are opening up. I've been to the top of Mount Helena twice in the last week.

The trails on the east side of the mountain are completely open and dry. Some trails low on the north side of Mount Ascension are dry as well. As of Tuesday, Dump Gulch was still packed and icy, though.

More details are here:
Spring 2014 :: Gravity Guild Garage

Great Falls is 100% open, and reportedly they have some new trail along the river. I'll have to check that out this year.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good to hear. Rocky Road is looking pretty good from my house about a block away. May have to get the freshly tuned Goblin out for some recon this weekend.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yep, I got about 3 switchbacks from the top of Ascension yesterday and turned around so I didn't rip up the trail. Archery Range was great, as was Rodney Ridge into town.

·
beater
5,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I rode the Ridge yesterday. There were a half-dozen or so notable snowbanks yet that required walking, spaced out from the top down into the timbered switchbacks. Since the ground is thawed, they're mostly surrounded by dry trail. There are also 3 trees down above Emmett's/Mini Ridge. Below that, it's completely clear.

Highway, Horse, Rodney Ridge, and 2006 are clear. I haven't been to Entertainment in a week, but I expect it's good. Haven't heard anything about 1906 yet, but I'll probably try climbing it this week.

Saw loads of 6 plates around the trails yesterday.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm planning to come to Helena tomorrow from Canada to mountain bike. My spouse says she saw some trails are closed due to forest fires. Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Great, on the bike Helens Facebook page, it appears numerous trails are closed, less than. 24 hours before my trip, is it even worth going anymore?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm planning to come to Helena tomorrow from Canada to mountain bike. My spouse says she saw some trails are closed due to forest fires. Can anyone confirm?
Just one loop:

"The Forest Service will be doing a prescribed burn starting today and
probably lasting three days in the Wakina Sky area. The entire Stairway to Heaven Trail, and a portion of the Wakina Sky Trail Re-route will be closed as part of this area closure. Please hike or bike elsewhere until Sunday!"

You can still ride the Ridge, Mt. Ascension, Rodney Ridge etc. Just stop in at one of the bike shops for some good advice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Arrived in Helena at supper time. Got a trail map from the garage, had a great meal at karmadellos and did some riding near Mount Helens city park. Impressive town and trails.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts