Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
BGR / MCM #311
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing my HEIM 2 guide on my coiler, finally! (been sitting in the box for a few weeks now)

Questions for those that might know. I'm installing the guide on a set of Diabolus cranks. You're supposed to mount the guide behind the outboard bearing on the drive side (duh). OK...so the guide's made out of @ 1.5 mm aluminum. This will bump the bearing farther out on the spindle, out past where the crank arm is supposed to bottom out. The installation instructions for the cranks say that you should have two 2.5mm spacers behind the bearing cups for my sized bb shell (allows proper chainline and sets the spindle at just the right length for the crank to bottom out against the bearings). So...I'm assuming...that I should get a 1mm spacer and use it, ONE of the 2.5 spacers, and the HEIM to achieve the proper set up (5mm overall)?? (HEIM's directions really don't talk about spacing behind the bearing, just spacing the roller properly to hit the chainring in the right place).

Anyone that's done this before, I'd appreciate any info...

thanks
terry

·
Deadhead
367 Posts
Hey, Terry. If the Heim uses ISCG mounts then you need the ISCG adaptor that came with your RF cranks. The adaptor will take the place of one of the original spacers. If you don't have the adaptor, I have a couple from the various sets I've installed for the guys over here. If the guide doesn't use the adaptor then the guide itself will take the place of one of the spacers. Either way, you will probably have to play with the number of little white spacers on the non-drive side arm/spindle to get the proper preload on the bearings. This will probably throw the chainline off a few mm, but shouldn't be noticeable when riding. PM me on the PAMBA or KMBC site and I can get you my phone number if you want to dicuss it further. Jason

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
another option for good info.

Fireboy,

If you haven't got what you needed between here and the DH forum, ask Tscheezy on the Turner forum. He seems to the be the Heim guru. I run a MRP LRP which is similar, but haven't even seen the Heim in person so I can't really comment.

Cheers,
EBX

·
BGR / MCM #311
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx ebx! Like you said...I think I got what I needed from here and the DH area (and the drivetrain forum). I think I'm gonna have to find a 1mm spacer...but if I have problems I will definitely look up the Tscheezmeister. One smart cookie...I've visited his wealth of brake knowledge in the past...great fellow cult member!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.