Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
edenger said:
If you had a crystal ball.... do you think Heil will be dry by Sunday or still a muddy mess?
I'd think the road up from the parking lot would be "rideable" (besides, you can't trash a road). The singletrack immediately after that would be a muddy mess up to that first big lefthand switchback, then off and on from there. IOW, if you got past the first muddy part I'd think the rocks would take over.

Wild Turkey---I dunno, there are some sunless mud pits back there. Good luck.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks xc... you're right it'll probably be pretty wet. I remember last year around this time how the water was coming up through trail as due to the impermeable rock layer below the surface. I'm just up the road 7000 and we still have plenty of snow that needs to melt.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I ran the Wapiti/Ponderosa Loop yesterday afternoon.
Wapiti is in decent shape, with only short sections of snow up to a couple inches deep, and short muddy-ish sections. Nothing too bad – saw 2-3 riders.
Ponderosa though, especially the upper part as you head north and start descending to the overlook, has several longer snowy sections (50-100 feet maybe) and up to 1 foot deep in places. At least one person had ridden through the snow on the trail, but it looked like others had ridden off trail around it.  Then as you swing back south from the overlook, more muddy-ish sections and brief snow, but not as bad as the upper part.
Didn’t get down to Wild Turkey.
Two weeks ago when we ran Picture Rock, it was complete, total, muddy mess below the silo. Not sure how it is now.

Hope that helps.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,801 Posts
Picture Rock can be very muddy and takes longer to dry out, might be a good idea to hit the south end of Heil or the front side of Hall.

I think Saturday is going to be the day, could be more snow by Sunday.

·
ride
5,275 Posts
Lyons Report - The Hall rock garden was absolutely perfect this morning. It was rideable on the N side of the bench down to Antelope but that section will be muddy when it suns up. Picture Rock and Antelope Trail are still muddy.

·
ride
5,275 Posts
For what it's worth, customer are reporting that Antelope and Picture Rock are still not ready. Hall is good to go from the rock garden to the loop and Heil is good if accessed from Geer Canyon (the south side).

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Report from Monday...

Rode Wapiti-Wild Turkey on Monday. Wapiti is totally fine, only one tiny spot of mud. Wild Turkey had a couple of ~20 foot muddy sections, people seemed to be doing a good job riding through rather than around. We did not try Picture Rock based on the condition of Wild Turkey, I'm assuming it would be pretty muddy, especially down low.

Folks should start using the BMA trail conditions page here:
http://bouldermountainbike.org/content/trails/conditions

-Walt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.