Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy mariachi owners.

Seen some nice prices online for mariachi's. Going to get me one I think.

One question though.

Never had a 29er, wondering about rider height.

I'm 5"11, long arms legs and short torso. Wondering if I should go with a large or medium.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for that. My problem is that on a 26er, some mediums are to small, and some larges are to big. Generally the TT measurement isn't the most reliable indicator as to if the bike will fit me.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Medium here

I'm 6'1" with longer legs and arms than torso. I can ride either the large or medium, but went with a medium since I didn't want to be that stretched out for longer rides. Same with my Dos, it's a medium.

Plus, with a medium i didn't have to ditch the matching Salsa CroMoto stem on the El Mariachi. Of course, if you buy just a frameset, that won't be an issue. :)

The large would have required me to go to a shorter stem, like an 80-90mm. I feel as though the large would be harder to weight the front end for me, since my weight bias would be more rearward due to the longer top tube/shorter stem set up.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for that,

I hear you.

I like the short stem setup for rolling trails but it can be a bit f a pain when climbing.

Sounds like a medioum with a 100mm, or 90mm stem is the go.

Wouldn't happen to have a pic of you on your bike would you??

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
refreshinglygood said:
thanks for that,

I hear you.

I like the short stem setup for rolling trails but it can be a bit f a pain when climbing.

Sounds like a medioum with a 100mm, or 90mm stem is the go.

Wouldn't happen to have a pic of you on your bike would you??
Sorry, no I usually ride alone, so that gets a bit tricky! :D

Here is a picture of the bike though. Pretty much a stock frame/fork/stem from an '07 complete that I put my own parts on.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
refreshinglygood said:
very nice.

Now if I could only get a US bike shop to ship me one.

They are $2500 in Australia
WOW! :yikes:

That's crazy spendy, sorry to hear that.

I actually traded an early 80's Tomassini with late 90's Campy running gear on it for my frame/fork/head set/ seat post. :D

Don't need those ol' roadie bikes clutterin' up my bike garage, ya know? ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm 5'11 as well. I just got a medium El Mariachi and the cockpit feels longer than what I'm used to, but I tend to like shorter bars-to-saddle lenghts. I would recommend you the medium size Mariachi.

·
Registered
752 Posts
refreshinglygood said:
Thanks people.

Medium it is.

Wish they still made em in blue though.

Prefer the blue to the red.

Thanks heaps.
Just you wait till you see the red...
It's amazing in person.

BTW, I'm 6'1" - 6'2" on a good day, like the dude said. I went with a Large an thought about changing the stem to a smaller one.
(long legs)

But it's perfect.

Even did an 85km road ride on it...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ro.nin said:
Just you wait till you see the red...
It's amazing in person.

BTW, I'm 6'1" - 6'2" on a good day, like the dude said. I went with a Large an thought about changing the stem to a smaller one.
(long legs)

But it's perfect.

Even did an 85km road ride on it...
Nice.

I've got a pair of road hoops on some XT hubs for road shenanigans. Ahould go well with the el mar

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I've come across a killer deal on a used el mar thats done about 200kms.

Problem is it's a large.

I'm 5'11 on a good day, with a 32 inch inseam (length of my dickies work pants)

The large is to large isn't it?

So

any of you "average" height guys have pics of yourselves riding your el mar??????????

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.