Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I don't understand how you sasquatch MF'ers can manage to put your foot on a pedal and have your heel rub the frame. Does your heel not hit the crank as you spin? Do you move your feet around with every revolution? My feet don't move unless I pick them up and put them down again. I've rubbed my heel on the crank, but a quick reposition and it does not repeat.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,516 Posts
another idea is jb weld a patch or standoff, maybe 2mm thick rectangle. then paint

just a smooth blob of jb weld on that area

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't understand how you sasquatch MF'ers can manage to put your foot on a pedal and have your heel rub the frame. Does your heel not hit the crank as you spin? Do you move your feet around with every revolution? My feet don't move unless I pick them up and put them down again. I've rubbed my heel on the crank, but a quick reposition and it does not repeat.
Yeah it rubs the crank.. my crank has a polished aluminium center while the rest is matte black from rubbing lol. And I'm no sasquatch lol, I just have an outstep on my right foot.

OP: Use helicopter tape, slap it on, replace if it wears through. It's cheap as hell.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I occasionally rub the frame and I don't hit the cranks. Issues with big feet I suppose. In my case it's occasional, so there's no damage. My legs also sometimes touch the seatstays when descending.

I didn't have those issues with my old 26 with 135mm spacing.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I get heel rub on chainstays of my other bikes quite a bit, but it doesn't bother me too much because they are aluminum or steel and it's really only the paint that gets rubbed off - it would take a lot of rubbin' to compromise aluminum or steel with a shoe. This is the first time I've experienced it on a seat stay, likely because the tallboy seatstay is a bit lower than a traditional triangle-style hardtail or road/gravel bike.

On a 1 hour trail ride last night, felt it rub at least a dozen times more more, mostly on techie climbs where you and the bike are moving around a bit.

Size 13 feet, using SPDs like I have for all my bikes.

I'll give the helicopter tape a shot, probably try colored tape so I can see when it's worn through. Then just replace it as needed. Maybe add this to my regular maintenance schedule: check sealant, check chainwear, check seatstay protector...

The metal HVAC tape is an interesting idea, but the adhesive concerns me. I was also kinda considering a thicker layer of aluminum glued to the stay. But seems like could open up other problems if it's partially worn but cannot be removed w/o aggressive solvent.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I’ve rubbed holes in drive side chainstays and Shimano cranks. The chainstays get wear when I descend. Apparently, I twist my right ankle on downhills (and I use Shimano clipless with single release cleats). Now I use cloth tape on the chainstays and replace as necessary.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,516 Posts
I only occasionally rub. after so many miles, wear marks develop.
no way to change it unless I mess up Q, which I am not gonna do

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,054 Posts
I only occasionally rub one out. after so many miles, wear marks develop.
no way to change it unless I mess up Q, which I am not gonna do
Fify.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I don't understand how you sasquatch MF'ers can manage to put your foot on a pedal and have your heel rub the frame.
I can't speak for the OP, but looking at my old Endorphin frame after four years of riding there was a good sized highly polished patch on the left chainstay. My initial thought was from pedalling, but there isn't one on the right side and I ride with my right foot forwards, so I suspect most of the rubbing actually happens while my foot is back and I'm descending, which is probably why its less noticeable. I'm sure I'd feel it if my foot was contacting the frame every revolution of the cranks!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Do not move your cleats. That’s changing the bike fit and if it’s fine now don’t mess with it. I cut a old road bike tube and wrapped it and use Gorillia tape over it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do not move your cleats. That’s changing the bike fit and if it’s fine now don’t mess with it. I cut a old road bike tube and wrapped it and use Gorillia tape over it
I moved my cleats in a little not changing the angle and I found no difference in fit but my heal stopped rubbing. It's a very easy fix to try. Many people probably center them without ever trying a slightly different position. Frame protection is always a good idea but I'm much happier not having my heal rub.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
I can't speak for the OP, but looking at my old Endorphin frame after four years of riding there was a good sized highly polished patch on the left chainstay. My initial thought was from pedalling, but there isn't one on the right side and I ride with my right foot forwards, so I suspect most of the rubbing actually happens while my foot is back and I'm descending, which is probably why its less noticeable. I'm sure I'd feel it if my foot was contacting the frame every revolution of the cranks!
That's what's happening to me. Left foot back on descents and the left heel is rubbing the chain stay. The heel of my shoe has a flat spot and the chain stay is getting polished silver. Tried gorilla tape on the chain stay but only lasts a few rides. Going to try something harder.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts