Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surely I can't be the only one...

Heel rub on the seat stay of a carbon Tallboy after 6 months of riding. Yes, not a lot now, but with continued use, is there risk of wearing a hole in the carbon? What is the best solution to protect it? I'm not as worried about the aesthetics.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'll bet one of the suggestions will be helicopter tape.
+1 to this. Unfortunately heel rub seems to be somewhat common, especially as rear hubs get wider. If you ride clipless, you may be able to adjust the angle of your cleat to keep your heal out.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think it's ok if you ocassionally rub the frame, it happens to people with big feet and new bikes with wide rear hubs. But if it's a constant thing that is causing frame wear, that's an issue.

Maybe you can find some cranks with a wider Q-Factor. Or use pedal extenders.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I have the same frame in XXL and size 13 Freeriders and haven't had this issue. Maybe larger pedals or different cranks like Amt0571 suggested.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I heel rub with these wide rear triangle that are common. You probably walk with you toes out and heel rub is something you are going to have to live with. If you try and change how your feet naturaĺy are positioned then you will risk knee injury. Float in clipless pedals has greatly benefited knee health so if your cleats are set up properly then don't mess with them.
Yes you can rub a hole through your frame. Put some tape on there.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,515 Posts

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
I use 3M carbon weave wrap. You can find it in yellow colors. Just an FYI that HVAC tape has an extremely aggressive adhesive.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
CEO Product Failure
1,705 Posts
I've experienced this rub as well. Depending on which bike, my solutions are: RideWrap, 3M Tape (SC provided a complete set with my TB4), Lizard Skin, and finally wrapping the area with an old inner tube. Make sure to do both the non-drive and drive side.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Before my hip replacement I would rub my inside heel on my crank. It would eventually f up my shoes. I had very limited range of motion.

You might want to see about a bike fitting. Not suggesting you have a worn out hip but I found getting a proper fit really helped.

all this is no longer an issue since I got a bionic hip. :)

Good luck.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,951 Posts
There are also pedal extenders, but generally that's solving biomechanics issues...

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
3M protection film. I have heel rub marks too, but just on the frame protection. You should also be watching out for cable rub areas too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not that this is the best solution, but I had the same issue, tried helicopter tape which worked well for about 3 months before I had another hole, ended up getting new shoes (not for the purpose of fixing this issue, it was just time) and went from a wider profile shoe to a narrower one and it fixed my issue! No more rubbing.

for reference I had pearl izumi x alp and now have Fizik Terra X5's

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Buy a chainstay protector from santa cruz or lizard skin, put it here at the seat stay. Thats what I am doing to my Jackal which has the same problem with my shoe.

·
Resident Gear Head
660 Posts
Buy a chainstay protector from santa cruz or lizard skin, put it here at the seat stay. Thats what I am doing to my Jackal which has the same problem with my shoe.
This is what I do. I wear a size 14 shoe and after getting a ton of heel rub on previous bikes I decided to wrap the entire frame in Invisiframe and added a Lizard Skins protector to the chainstays and seatstays.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had this problem on all my mountain bikes and most road bikes. I think it's because I have large feet and ride flat pedals on my mtb. So my feet wonder on the pedals and end up rubbing all over the chain and seat stays.
Now I install RideWrap (https://www.ridewrap.com) frame protection. The wrap takes all the abuse and the frame is totally fine. I've heard helicopter tape and 3m tape work, but can leave adhesive behind and is tricky to work with.
For now you should put something to prevent further wear. You would need to wear a lot deeper into the carbon to effect structural integrity of the bike.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts