Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the differences in the different year hecklers? I know early gen (around 98ish) were more XC. Later (05ish?) had a solid 5in travel and the newest (08) have a different looking pivot and 150mm of travel.

Can anyone clearly define the differences between years in the frames?

Thanks

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Renovatio said:
Does anyone know the differences in the different year hecklers? I know early gen (around 98ish) were more XC. Later (05ish?) had a solid 5in travel and the newest (08) have a different looking pivot and 150mm of travel.

Can anyone clearly define the differences between years in the frames?

Thanks
Santa Cruz doesn't clearly define differences based on years, so that's hard to do; they update a model when they've redesigned something.

I bought one in late 98, it has 100mm travel and has the disc mounts, believe that was fairly early in the offering of disc mounts (and also has rim brake mounts), believe uses a 7.875 x 2 (or was it 1.75?) shock, front shock recommendation 80-100mm.

I got another in the late summer of 02 when they changed the design. It got a little more travel, about 5 inches; originally 135mm travel IIRC, 7.875 x 2" shock but went to a slightly longer stroke of 2.25" with SC's blessing and got 145mm travel, or was it 130 to 140?... I'm not positive off the top of my head. Also disc only, room for a bigger rear tire, a different swingarm design, redesigned pivot bearings, beefed up gusseted headtube junction, think it was recommended for shocks from 120-150mm.

I got another in 07 which was the latest and current design released I think in spring of 07, 150mm travel and again a different swingarm and pivot design, slightly different tubing, 8.5 x 2.5 shock, and I think even a bit more room for tires, fork recommendation 130-160mm.

There are some other differences too but those are the main ones that I can think of, someone else is sure to pipe up and correct me or add stuff. Oh, and I still have all three.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Almost ;). The '02' Heckler had 130mm rear travel to start with, moving to 140mm with a longer shock.

There were some minor changes to the head tube gusset of the '02' Heckler around 2005 and the decals changed in design around that time too.

The '07' came out with a fork recomdation of up to 170mm, but that has been revised to up to 160mm for some reason, hydroformed tubes came in as well.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
weescott said:
Almost ;). The '02' Heckler had 130mm rear travel to start with, moving to 140mm with a longer shock.

There were some minor changes to the head tube gusset of the '02' Heckler around 2005 and the decals changed in design around that time too.

The '07' came out with a fork recomdation of up to 170mm, but that has been revised to up to 160mm for some reason, hydroformed tubes came in as well.
Thanks, I couldn't remember which way that one went!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Santa Cruz doesn't clearly define differences based on years, so that's hard to do; they update a model when they've redesigned something.

I bought one in late 98, it has 100mm travel and has the disc mounts, believe that was fairly early in the offering of disc mounts (and also has rim brake mounts), believe uses a 7.875 x 2 (or was it 1.75?) shock, front shock recommendation 80-100mm.

I got another in the late summer of 02 when they changed the design. It got a little more travel, about 5 inches; originally 135mm travel IIRC, 7.875 x 2" shock but went to a slightly longer stroke of 2.25" with SC's blessing and got 145mm travel, or was it 130 to 140?... I'm not positive off the top of my head. Also disc only, room for a bigger rear tire, a different swingarm design, redesigned pivot bearings, beefed up gusseted headtube junction, think it was recommended for shocks from 120-150mm.

I got another in 07 which was the latest and current design released I think in spring of 07, 150mm travel and again a different swingarm and pivot design, slightly different tubing, 8.5 x 2.5 shock, and I think even a bit more room for tires, fork recommendation 130-160mm.

There are some other differences too but those are the main ones that I can think of, someone else is sure to pipe up and correct me or add stuff. Oh, and I still have all three.
dude, thats sweet you still have them all, please post pics when you can:eek:

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Bosco20002000 said:
dude, thats sweet you still have them all, please post pics when you can:eek:
Well, am away from home but here's what I've got with me, different places and size files, but each of the three (SID blue is the oldest, Root Beer in the middle, Silver Ano newest)

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.