Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, my back tire Kenda Navegal got worn out and the only replacement I got at the moment was a Geax Saguaro 2.0. A riding buddy of mine always suggested I should change the rear tire for a 'better rolling' one in order to hold up with the rest of the group, an idea that always rested in the back of my mind but that never was realized..., until last week. Before my Heckler I used to ride a Cannondale hardtail, a very light XC bike which always had me in the leading part. The SCH, being double suspension and quite heavier made me move to the backlight sight part.
The first riding impressions: on tarmac climbs (we have a lot of them around where I live) I noticed an incredible increase of speed and rolling efficiency. On flat tarmac rides towards the trails the same, less energy more feet. On the other side, on dirt downhills, the part of the ride I enjoy most, I feel less contact with the surface and have a constant feel of 'wiping out' to use a surfterm here.
I know it is a compromise, but I like the fact I can climb again with the better members, but I miss the security on the trails.
Does anyone else have different tires on their machines and what kind? What would be best set up in order to increase climbing/rolling performance without loosing too much of the beefy feeling in the rear?
Thank you for your stories.

·
Now with 10% more!
407 Posts
Loll said:
Many people I know runs Kenda Nevagal front, with Kenda Small Block 8 in the back
I have this same setup on my Heckler. It's really been working well for me so far, but it's also the only tire setup I've used on my Heckler, so I don't have much to compare it to.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
2.35 small block 8 in the rear makes, the Heckler roll and grips really well, I have run a combination of 8's front and back and Nev front 8 back, and another good Kenda is the Blue groove , also if you get the DTC version they have a harder centre and roll better.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you all. got the idea. will try some of the suggested combinations and will post my thoughts in this forum on a later date. happy new year

·
Registered
477 Posts
A buddy of mine and I have both been really happy running a 2.35 Minion DHF on front and a 2.1 Crossmark on the rear...you do roll faster, and the Crossmark has more grip that it looks to have. It is also fun because it breaks away a bit before the Minion front which makes drifting a bit easier and less hair-raising. I suspect that the Nevegal/Small Block combo would be similar...

·
Registered
102 Posts
i changed from 2.35 nevegals f/r to nevegal in the front and a 2.1 small block 8 in the rear. honestly, i didn't notice that big a change in rolling resistance on pavement or the trails (if any, it was a little for me). you do lose a lot of braking grip in the rear but, one thing i like about this combo is how much more predictable the rear tire skids are.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Review after 50 miles of Road (tarmac) and Trail (rocks, mud, pebblestones)

As promised, an update on my little tire experiment. As mentioned, I changed my rear tire from a K. Navegal 2.35 to a Geax Saguaro 2.0. The first impression was an optical one and to tell you the truth, I was not very exited because it looked a bit weird. Big and beefy in the front and smallish and fragile looking in the back.

But since optics do not mean that much to me, a bike is to be ridden, I will focus on performance, looks are too subjective to have an opinion on them.

The first 20 miles included a big climb on a tarmac road behind my house with parts that go up to almost 25 to 30%, quite hefty. On my Cannondale XC hartdtail this climb,although tough, was not that a big deal. Since I had the Heckler (August 2008), going up was very hard and my first 2 attempts did not work out. After a while I got used to the bike and started going up more easily; this was with 2 identical tires: Navegal 2.35. Since I changed my rear tire I really feel a big difference though. The pedaling is very smooth and I go much faster. The tire is not as sticky and rolls really well, so on this part I give 2 thumbs up for this combination.

The climb was followed by a trail covered with pebble stones, very slippery. I felt less confident and had the feeling that the Geax was sinking into the pebbles, as compared to the 2.35 Navegal which stayed on top. The end result: an involuntary flight over the handlebar that dented my leg, wrist and ego...

Last week an epic 30 mile run through mud and wet rocks covered trails. Again, speed increased but on the mud covered climbs the wheel tended to spin, whereas the Navegal used to keep traction. On the downhills I felt less confident and during the ride I had a constant kind of a 'wipe out' sensation.

Overall, I will probably stay with this combination, although I may change the 2.0 for a 2.2 in order to have better grip on some sections without loosing speed or climbing abilities. I may loose some speed during the downhill but then I am almost on the wrong side of my forties and not that much of a roughie anymore going down.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.