Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious why SC specs a float R, but told my local dealer that an RP23 was not available with the Heckler as it was not a good combination.

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks!

JK

ps... should I stick with the Float R or upgrade to the DHX Air for just trail riding ?

·
never ender
1,314 Posts
I think that the RP23 is an 07 model year shock, and I've heard that Santa Cruz may be discontinuing the Heckler for 2007 (or hopefully just overhauling it like they did in 02), meaning that SC doesn't have any RP23s on order for 06 Heckler frames.

What year is your frame/shock? I have an new Heckler with a Propedal float R, and it seems like a bad match for the frame. Since the RP3/RP23 are also propedal XC shocks, I don't think that they would be that much of an improvement anyway. A DHX air would fit on my bike, but instead of dropping 6 or 7 bones on a new shock, I'm just going to send my Float to PUSH next year for a full upgrade. By the time the rainy season is over it will probably need an overhaul anyway, and I can put up with the small-bump harshness until then. Plus their shock upgrades cost less than 200 bucks plus shipping. Unless you absolutely hate your Float, or plan on doing serious jumps and drops, you might think about doing the same thing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heckler float R vs RP23

I am just ordering the bike, and the RP23's ability to turn the propedal off is what is attracting me to that shock vs the float R. I need an air shock so that I can share it with my Son who weighs 40lbs less without changing springs every time.

Can you turn the propedal off on the float R? Are you getting full travel when you hit a drop or rough terrain?

The DHX Air sounds great, but overkill for my needs which are closer to XC than FR...

Thanks

JK

·
never ender
1,314 Posts
JHK said:
I am just ordering the bike, and the RP23's ability to turn the propedal off is what is attracting me to that shock vs the float R. I need an air shock so that I can share it with my Son who weighs 40lbs less without changing springs every time.

Can you turn the propedal off on the float R? Are you getting full travel when you hit a drop or rough terrain?

The DHX Air sounds great, but overkill for my needs which are closer to XC than FR...

Thanks

JK
Hmm. You can't turn off Propedal on the Float R, but it does give full travel when you need it to. My shock has a high level of Propedal, and in my opinion it's just too much of an XC shock for the Heckler frame. It feels like it's designed for stand-and-hammer climbing, and thus is a little harsher than it needs to be.

There are a couple of other threads on the board about using an RP3 on the Heckler, and people seem to have mixed feelings about it. I think the RP23 will be in the same ballpark. There also seems to be mixed feedback about the DHX Air too-do some searches and you may find better information than I can give.

If you can get your Heckler with an RP3 or 23 it will probably work out fine, but since SC isn't offering those shock options (as far as I know) IMO it won't be worth the hassle and expense of buying another shock at retail. See if SC can give you a 5th or something, but if they can't I'd just take the Float. If you hate it, get it Pushed-there's another thread here somewhere about how great Pushed shocks are for Hecklers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts