Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2008 Giant Reign X0. It's definitely a nice bike but probably overkill for me since I use it more as a long travel trail bike. I do some smaller jumps and drops but nothing that pushes the Reign to it's maximum capabilities, I'm sure. I was thinking about stripping the frame and building up a Heckler. I have a Superlight built for light XC and love the way it pedals. Any thoughts? Would the Heckler with the longer travel Float 36 handle pretty similar to the Reign?

·
Ride and Smile
736 Posts
I thought the XO was a long travel trail bike! I guess it depends on what you want to do. Is it fun? Would you have more fun with less travel or steeper angles? I have a bike that can do bigger drops than I do on it, but I think about slacker angles and more travel as = more fun. Climbing for me is climbing. I don't need climbing angles. But rolling or descending, that where the fun is! Heckler has steeper angles so If thats what you want, go get it.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Hecklers aren't an XC bike by any means! They pedal great, but are most comfortable going down- especially with a 36mm fork. If you're looking for a great All Mountain bike, the Heckler is perfect for that. Go up and down and have fun doing it!!

·
Registered
549 Posts
...seems to be a split between Hecklers and Reigns. As a Heckler-owner, my opinion may be biased but I don't have Reign-owners to discuss this with on the climbs.... If you're already comfortable on a SL, build the Heckler light (since you don't do massive drops/jumps), have the (air) shock "PUSHED" and you'll be enjoying a sh**-eating grin aboard a true AM-build.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, the regular Reign looks like it would be about what I'm looking for. It appears that people like it with the bigger Fox 36 float fork that I have. I was thinking of a Heckler because I like the firm pedaling platform of my Superlight. Also, Heckler frames can be had for pretty cheap compared to some others out there. I don't think you can buy just a Reign frame, new anyway.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
i keep seeing brand new ones (new, albeit pierced downtube older models) on ebay for 400-600 bucks.. buying giant frames in the US from lbs's is kinda goofy, its cheaper to buy the whole bike and part what you dont want.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Hello.
Maybe it is too late, but I was in the EXACT situation.

I had a custom built Reign X.
Built up with a 36Van/Float other durable but light parts, I liked it, but it seemed a bit too much bike for my needs/trails and while I really liked it, I never felt completely satisfied.

I had a Heckler a couple of years ago and loved that thing. Had a couple of other bikes in between, but always drooled over the Hecklers.

Then a buddy rode my Reign X and he wanted to buy it. I didn´t know what to do, but gave him a good deal and got myself a new Heckler frame with RP23. I decked it out with some really neat stuff, built it light yet tough.
And what should I say. It´s fantastic.

I like the Heckler a lot better than the Reign X. No questions, both are fantastic bikes and you´ll be happy with either one.
But the Heckler really is MY favorite.
It pedals petter, especially when you´re standing up. I got a 36 Talas on it and the adjustable fork makes the versatility shine bright.
I feared that the single pivot would be less plush, that I wouldn´t be satisfied with the suspension or brake jack or whatnot.

But let me tell you, I actually prefer the single pivot. While there are situations when you feel slight brake jack and it feels different on fast stutter bumps, it also feels much more predictable. I have a very active riding style and that matches the bike.

It jumps a lot better, is easier to wheelie and manual and it is easier to drop with the Heckler. I had a Medium Reign and have now a large Heckler and you should think that I´d feel a lot quirkier on dhs because of the larger frame. But I don´t.

The Heckler will also be quite a bit lighter, as the frame is a good bit lighter.

Also it has an uninterrupted seat tube and it feels a lot more comfortable to me.

Sure, there will be situations where the Reign X will be better. But I love the simplicity of the single pivot. Love the looks of the Heckler and I feel quicker and snappier on it.

So GET one =)

But for real, it comes down to personal preference, but I am happy with my decision!

Greetings Znarf

·
When in doubt- turn left
147 Posts
Here's my .02 for what it's worth.

I'll start with the fact that I work part-time at a shop that sells Giant & Trek.

In the spring I parted out a semi-custom build '07 ReignX1(few parts kept), liked the bike but it was more bike than I needed. It was a vaca bike(Moab, Fruita, Crested Butte etc..), didn't really use it here at home in SE Mich. Like I said, liked the bike, pedaled well for what kind of abuse it could take. But I knew that a lighter bike could handle most of the riding that I will do.

I rode my bro's Trance1 to get a taste to see if a TranceX might be it. No. Even a beefed up Trance wasn't gonna cut it.

Fuel wasn't enough and the Remedy that I liked was too pricey. Plus I have a Madone and wanted something different. GF Rosco looked interesting but I'm not big on first yr frames and it seemed billed as more of a trailbike.

A regular Reign should fit but I decided that this time I was gonna build it myself and like someone mentioned the Reign isn't offered frame-only. Wasn't gonna buy & part out this time, I want a never built-up frame.

After lots of digging and surfing, I kept coming back to the Heckler. Called up Santa Cruz and got a sweet deal on a large w/ RP23 in last yr's orange. I'm collecting parts for it now. So far the build will look like this.

X-9 shift & rear der.
LX ft der
XT 22-32-bg crankset
Thomson stem
Easton EA-50 post
WTB saddle
Juicy 5's 185/160
Barracuda 2.3 tires

I'm doing wheels next, nothing set in stone yet.
Syncros DP 25 hoops
WTB hubs(20mm ft)
DT Super Comp skokes.

Fork will be last
Float36 maybe Talas if the budget allows.

I'm thinking it should be in the low 30's and climb quite a bit better yet still tackle the ugly rocky stuff and smile.

Hey Znarf-
Whats your build and whats it weight?

·
Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
637 Posts
:rolleyes:

man, giant bikes are whack!! toys ride generic pieces-of-sh!t like treks and giants etc. they're boring mainstream contraptions that get completely re-invented ever year or so 'cause the last model snapped. you see any old giant duallies getting around now, or treks? hardly ever, if ever, cause they're completely f$%ked-out after a season or two. they're disposable junk for the modern consumerist society. may as well eat macdonalds and wear neon commuter gear. there's simply no comparison to riding a foes or santa cruz. i hammered my heckler for 5 years, bashed the crap out of it, and after hundreds of epic rides sold the frame for a fair price. get the heckler, you'll love it.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Hi,
weeeeell that´s a rather drastic view ;)
But I tend to agree (atleast a bit), my 2003 Heckler had thousands of miles on it, in rough terrain without much care. I always waited for the pivots/bearings to wear out or whatever. Even after 4 seasons of hard use, they felt fine.
And I have to say, I trust my Heckler bearings/frame a lot more then I trusted my Reign X in terms of long term durability (after 2 seasons for example, I bet the new Heckler will still work)
Although I didn´t have problems with my Reign! (had it only for one season...)
On the new Treks, the Remedy and the Session look really nice. Seem like nice bikes and they are incredibly light.
So light that I actually am really curious if they´ll hold up to abuse. I mean, they´re like 1-2 pounds lighter than most frames in the same class. IF they hold up in the long run, Trek has some really good engineers. If they are just really light and not that strong, go figure :) .

My Heckler build is as follows:

Large black PC 2008 Heckler with RP23 (2009)
Fox 36 Talas RC2 2009
Stans Flow rims on Veltec XC hubs (around 1800g for the complete wheelset)
Elixir Rs 8" f+r (maybe I´ll switch to a 7" rotor in the rear though)
Race Face Atlas AM lowrise bar, Thomson 50mm Stem and Thomson seatpost
SLX crankset 3ring, xt rear derailleur,xt chain, slx cassette, LX front der.,Sram Rocket Triggers
Specialized Phenom SL saddle,
Salsa Flip lock seat-QR (the Santa cruz stock clamp is soso)
NC 17 Sudpin 3 pro pedals (really nice 380g the pair, platform pedals)
Schalbe Albert UST and Nobby Nic UST tires (relatively heavy 870g front, 750g rear)
Gore Ride on Teflon shifting cables
Ritchey WCS Grips (the soft ones)

30,6lbs or 13,9kg is the weight of the bike.

The weight surprised me, really nice.

Greetings Znarf

·
Registered
751 Posts
If you think the ReignX is a bit overkill but otherwise like it, whynot try the Trance? I rode a friend's Trance (I have a Heckler) and it was sweeeet.

The Heckler is very stout and low-maintenence, and can take the occasional shuttle/DH lift runs. You could build it up very light weight if you want, but its not going to be the best/fastest climber.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's interesting to hear everyone's replies. I went down to my lbs today to look into getting a Heckler frame. They talked me into a Blur LT2 instead. The only problem is that I'm going to have to wait to get it as apparently Santa Cruz doesn't have any in stock. They're pretty popular apparently! I'm not sure about the durability issue vs the Heckler, though. I plan on stripping my Reign X frame and swapping components straight over, except for maybe a different crankset and stem. I guess the blt will handle the Fox float 36 fork well. I'm about 5'10" and the medium with a 70mm stem seemed the best fit. I've been running a Roval Traversee wheelset with Specialized Eskar 2Bliss tires on the Giant that together are about 1.5 lbs lighter that the stock Reign wheels. It should be sweet!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Sounds like a sweet decision!

I guess between Heckler or Blur LT2 it comes down to, either super simple single pivot (with all its benefits and cons) or super effective linkage driven bike (with all its benefits and cons)

I am really curious how you´ll like your new bike!

Greetings and have fun

Znarf

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.