Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
bump and grind
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would a Reign stack up against a heckler? I'm looking for a new all mountain frame. I've reasonable deals on both frames. (The SC Nomad, Ellsworths and Intense stuff are priced way out of my budget)

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
The Heckler we demoed had a lot of excellent handling characteristics. It was stable at speed and very balanced, but still dealt well with slow speed technical work. It had some of the snappiest pedaling manners and great handling of any bike I have tried recently. However it suffered some obvious stiffening under braking in the rear and the pedal feedback when climbing rough terrain was annoying, especially in the granny ring. I'm not sure I could get over the pedal feedback thing. It's too bad, the bike was great otherwise.

The Giant was a pleasant surprise. Despite an extremely unconventional look, it came together nicely as a package. Pedaling, climbing, descending, and all around it was extremely competent. Not as precise feeling as the Heckler, but it also didn't exhibit any of the negative traits the SC did. It pedaled as well out of the saddle as the Heck, but did not seem to stiffen under braking or yank at the pedals through chain feedback. Standover was excellent. The cable routing left something to be desired and I wonder how many different shocks the bike would accept. Overall, and based on admittedly limited experience, I'd go with the Giant.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have no idea!

I have no idea how they are... but I passed 3 of them coming down Porcupine Rim.

They looked pretty good as I yelled and asked to go by on the right! LOL!

Hey TScheesy, what fork was on the one you rode last. A 5 or 6". I just put a 6" on mine and it does make a difference on the tight technical stuff.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
cobym2 said:
How would a Reign stack up against a heckler? I'm looking for a new all mountain frame. I've reasonable deals on both frames. (The SC Nomad, Ellsworths and Intense stuff are priced way out of my budget)
As far as handling, geometry, and toughness goes, the Heckler is better. I used to own a Heckler and like Tscheezy commented, there is less brake jack with the Reign and pedal feedback also. With that said, The pedal feedback and brake jack on my Heckler was not a big issue for me...at all. The Heckler climbs very well. The rougher the terrain, up or down, the more I liked the Heckler.

Imo, there are few bikes that match the Heckler in the aggressive trail bike category. I weigh around 210 to 215lbs and ride aggressively, with 2-4foot drops being common, and a shop owner advised against the Reign because of my size and riding style. The Reign frame is not as beefy as the Heckler, and the Heckler can take it up a notch if you want to test the light freeriding realm. I also think you are stuck with an air shock with the Reign. There are many different air and coil options for the Heckler.

Obviously I am biased towards the Heckler. Imo, it is one of the top frames without question. Regardless, of suspension design or price. The Reign gets a slight edge in the rear suspension department and seems like a great bike, but the Heckler's excellent handling characteristics, trail geometry, and overall versatility give it the edge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.