Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice on a heckler vs nomad. I am getting ready to purchase one or the other. Any help would be greatly appriciated..

·
Registered
170 Posts
Try searching on this one, and check the SC forum. Similiar travel, but very different bikes.

Besides the one you really want, determine the type of riding you will/currently do.

Then go ahead and buy the nomad! :thumbsup:

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I have the original Heckler, the 02 redesign as well as a Nomad. To complicate things, there's an even newer Heckler redesign due out soon this year. Both Heckler and Nomad are great bikes, a major difference is the suspension and yet it isn't, SP vs VPP, but travel wise they're close. They're both fun bikes to ride. The Heckler is a bit simpler to maintain. The Heckler is a bit lighter duty, but not by much. The Heckler is less expensive. Hard to say what you should get in any case, but I don't think you'll be unhappy either way.

·
never ender
1,314 Posts
The Heckler is probably the most talked-about bike on mtbr, and there are several Heckler vs. Nomad threads out there. So try doing searches, but the upshot of most threads is that if you have the money, buy a Nomad.

·
Registered
139 Posts
tom2304 said:
Far weasel is right. The majority of those threads say both bikes are incredible but if you have the money buy the nomad.
Sorry to butt in but if both heckler n nomad compare to reign? Which will be the better one? Cos I'm looking in buying a all rounder FS bike for trail and downhill.

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
DCantrall...That VPP system spoiled the heck out of me. I have a VP Free for FR/DH, loved my trail-bike Heckler but I sold it and went with an Intense 6.6.
Good luck!

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Reign and Nomad

fchan said:
Sorry to butt in but if both heckler n nomad compare to reign? Which will be the better one? Cos I'm looking in buying a all rounder FS bike for trail and downhill.
The Reign and Nomad will be much more similar to each other than to the Heckler, IMO. A friend has a Reign, and it's a very good bike. It has that pedaling efficient design along the lines of the Nomad, as they both use a dual link swingarm pivot design...and so does the DW link design. The Reign and Nomad both seem to be very durable also. If I were to get a Reign, I would only get the model that allows use of a piggyback shock. Bikes with 6 or more inches of travel usually benefit greatly from the tuning capabilities of a modern piggyback shock...especially for more aggressive use. I notice some good sales on older Reigns, but I think some of that's because it has that shock fitment restriction to only allow non-piggyback shocks. The Nomad is my choice for a true all-around bike, but the later model Reign is darned good too. And of course the Heckler still remains one of the best bang-for-the-buck performers around.

·
Registered
139 Posts
TNC said:
The Reign and Nomad will be much more similar to each other than to the Heckler, IMO. A friend has a Reign, and it's a very good bike. It has that pedaling efficient design along the lines of the Nomad, as they both use a dual link swingarm pivot design...and so does the DW link design. The Reign and Nomad both seem to be very durable also. If I were to get a Reign, I would only get the model that allows use of a piggyback shock. Bikes with 6 or more inches of travel usually benefit greatly from the tuning capabilities of a modern piggyback shock...especially for more aggressive use. I notice some good sales on older Reigns, but I think some of that's because it has that shock fitment restriction to only allow non-piggyback shocks. The Nomad is my choice for a true all-around bike, but the later model Reign is darned good too. And of course the Heckler still remains one of the best bang-for-the-buck performers around.
Cheers TNC :thumbsup: . I think I'll go with the reign.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.