Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a big fan of single pivots. Simple, plush, maintainence free, and w/ the right shock and brake therapy, they are amazing. I have narrowed my selection down to the 2007 Foes FXR 2:1 and the sc 2007 heckler. Both of these bikes are great, and i know i can't totally mess this up. My riding style is agressive trail. 3-5ft drops, small-medium doubles, and a good amount of rock gardens and twisty terrain. I am looking the bike that will be a blast to ride through turns, stay plush in the rock gardens, yet still able to maintain its stiffness/stability in the air and on steep climbs. Price is not really a factor. Thanks.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
I'd go FXR no contest! The Heckler's a great bike, but if you have any stiffness concerns at all the Foes can't be beat. It'll pretty much kill the Heckler in every cat as far as cornering peddling and even taking drops and the rough stuff as well. My only concern would be the proprietary curnett shock, but even still between those two I'd go Foes all the way.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Have friends who have both and.....

I have riding buddies who own both and are nice enough to have let me take both for a spin. The Heckler is a nice bike, no question...But the Foes put a permanent smile on my face:D

It is SOOOOO stiff laterally and has almost no suspension bob while pedaling (with the Curnutt shock). Yet was plush when even hitting the smallest bumps in the trail. The Heckler had a 5th Element Coil that was pretty good (given, we didn't change the settings from my buddies settings) but was put to shame by the Curnutt. Also, I could detect some swingarm flex in the Heckler...but the new ones may address this.

If money is no object...FOES!

:thumbsup:

·
Trampelpfadbenutzer
692 Posts
The Foes is much less flexible than the Heckler.Geometry is better dialed in as well.After having owned a Heckler and having ridden a FXR I would go with the Foes for shure!

Later
RaD

·
I Welcome All
424 Posts
i would go with foes too but why is everyone dissin the hekler's strengh, i do 5-8ft drops on mine and its holdin up awesome! also watch drop in, super t does some good drops and gaps on his also look at this (sorry if this is your pic, im just tryin to prove my point! oh ya nice drop by the way!)

once again i would go with the foes too but, im just backin up my trusty steed

·
Registered
2 Posts
No question about it dude. FXR 2:1 handsdown is the best you'll ever go. I had a Hecler It was a good bike. But having a FXR is the best. Just go with a curnutt shock wirh ti spring, coz there's no reviews of how the curnutt air handles. Or get an Inferno there on sale at beyondbikes for $1000 Medium.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Should i go w/ the air or coil shock. I'd do a lot of agressive trail, 5ft drops at the max, fast stuff, could the curnutt air take that. Would there be a whole lot of a weight difference between the curnutt air vs. the curnutt coil w/ ti spring?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Then go go with a Curnutt XTD and a Ti. spring. It's expensive $450 upgrade from the regural ITD shock. I haxe a ITD with Ti. spring and still handles 7 ft. drops. And go for a plus 50lbs. spring when you buy a Foes. if your 175 lbs. your FRX 2:1 will have a 250 lbs. spring Steel or Ti. does not matter. Get a 300 lbs.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Foes

The Heckler is a cool retrobike idea but only the Foes has had me distracted for some time. I'll probably open my wallet for the airshock version the next time I NEED :crazy: a new 6" bike.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I cannot give a decent comparative opinion, but I will say this:

All the comments above about the heckler being less stiff are based on the old version. The 2007 version has a much sturdier pivot axle. Obviously we don't have real ride-reports yet, but I don't think you'll get an informed opinion until the 07 Heckler is out on the trails.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
It's A Good Guess...

TJT said:

All the comments above about the heckler being less stiff are based on the old version. The 2007 version has a much sturdier pivot axle. Obviously we don't have real ride-reports yet, but I don't think you'll get an informed opinion until the 07 Heckler is out on the trails.
Listen, most any Foes is gonna be stiffer/as stiff as the stiffest comparable bike around so it's a good guess bro! Espesialy when it's up against a bike that's most glaring weakness has been flex. Hey it's what Foes is prob most known for.

But hey the Heckler is a terrific bike.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
those foes are pretty awesome, i domoed one today. Man, that bike is so much fun to ride. Thumbs up to foes. W/ the build i'm doing, i'll be able to get it at about 28/29lbs, with top of the line parts. Look for me on the podium at a downieville, i'll be the one with the foes fxr 2:1...

·
Registered
423 Posts
TJT said:

I am pretty sure the "pivot axle" isn't what makes the hekler flex so much.
They would have to add an upper support link (like foes) to even come close
to the rigidity of the fxr. I have had friends that owned and loved the Heckler
but they all have been sub 160lbs. Big boys or super agressive turners will
feel the rubber in the swing arm.

I ride the fxr however I am not a fan of the curnutt shock. And there are plenty out
there that agree. The problem is the 11.25" shock length. You have no options to
go to if you don't like it. Give it a good ride before commiting to it. I can however say
that it corners very well and is very rigid. Have fun deciding!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Have to go against the grain here

I used to own a Foes FXR and it was a nice riding bike but the frame cracked above the pivot. This was used as a trailbike as I am not much of a jumper. Foes repaired (re-welded)the frame but it took almost 4 months. They did not even open the box for 13 weeks. They had a lot of attitude too! So, yes, the new FXR looks great and is getting great reviews but if you buy one, hope you never have to get any waranty work done. I was surprised they welded over the crack instead of replacing the front triangle.

My Heckler has been bombproof. Santa Cruz has always been great to deal with too!

Take a look at a Turner too! You won't find any better service than what Dave Turner offers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.