Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that sizing questions always pop up. I have used the search function. However I want to be selfish and have a thread devoted to my sizing question :madman:

I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam, weigh 175lbs. I have a medium blur lt which I'm getting rid of and getting a Heckler for its simplicity and reliability. I was concerned which size to get medium or large. I am comfortable on the medium blur lt and I'm sure I would be comfortable on the large with a shorter stem.

I'm looking for pros and cons of either size. I have an XC bike that I race. This is mainly a fun everything (all mountain) type bike. I will be getting the DHX air and a Nixon Superintrinsic fork 145mm.

Thanks for all your help.

Matt

·
Registered
26 Posts
What are you running for seat post and stem on the blur? I went from a large blur to medium heckler at 5'10". I'm hesitant to point you in the direction of the medium at 5'11", but if it is what you are used to then... . I'd go for the large in a Heckler, it's still a tight bike.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
mattmor said:
I know that sizing questions always pop up. I have used the search function. However I want to be selfish and have a thread devoted to my sizing question :madman:

I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam, weigh 175lbs. I have a medium blur lt which I'm getting rid of and getting a Heckler for its simplicity and reliability. I was concerned which size to get medium or large. I am comfortable on the medium blur lt and I'm sure I would be comfortable on the large with a shorter stem.

I'm looking for pros and cons of either size. I have an XC bike that I race. This is mainly a fun everything (all mountain) type bike. I will be getting the DHX air and a Nixon Superintrinsic fork 145mm.

Thanks for all your help.

Matt
The large Heckler is not a big bike at all. It is a medium by most other manufacturer standards. At 5'11, you will still have lots of standover and the cockpit is comfortable enough for forays into freeriding.

The benefit is a more comfortable bike for longer xc treks. A drawback may be that, the bike feels too big after riding a medium Blur.

I feel that most riders approaching 6ft in height, should be on a large Heckler. It is a harder decision when you are in that 5'9"-5'10" range.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Same height/inseam, I'm on a large Heckler

I'm same size as you, the large fits/feels great. As stated above the large isn't that "large" when compared to the medium. With the large you run a shorter stem (90mm for me) which is the way to go on a Heckler. The DHX Air works great btw, that's what I'm running.

·
Binge Rider
221 Posts
Go for the large

When on the cusp, always go for the larger size. And the other posters are correct, The Heckler has a tighter cockpit than others. I am a little taller but our inseam is the same. I ride a large and it fits fine. Standover height is plenty good for 32". Obvioulsy you've been to S.C.'s website. Their sizing is / geometery is helpful source. The best bet is go find one at your LBS or buddies. You can always adjust with stems lengths. The bike with the longer wheel base will almost always be the better descender and more stable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.