Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I know in some ways this question has been beat to death, but I think I'm asking a slightly different question this time.
OK here goes: I'm 5 ft. 9 in. with a 32 inch inseam. Using an online fit check I measure out to need a little over a 23 in. top tube, this would equate to a large Heckler. My current hard tail of the last 5yrs or so has a 22.25 inch top tube, this would equate to a medium Heckler.
I am intrested I hearing from people that are around my size that ride medium Heckler's.
How do they feel, handle etc. I don't do a lot of hucking, but the trails I ride are extremly rocky and rooty, with lots of steep ups and downs (east coast).
Thanks in advance

·
SS Pusher Man
7,669 Posts
travisbean1558 said:
Hi,
I know in some ways this question has been beat to death, but I think I'm asking a slightly different question this time.
OK here goes: I'm 5 ft. 9 in. with a 32 inch inseam. Using an online fit check I measure out to need a little over a 23 in. top tube, this would equate to a large Heckler. My current hard tail of the last 5yrs or so has a 22.25 inch top tube, this would equate to a medium Heckler.
I am intrested I hearing from people that are around my size that ride medium Heckler's.
How do they feel, handle etc. I don't do a lot of hucking, but the trails I ride are extremly rocky and rooty, with lots of steep ups and downs (east coast).
Thanks in advance
Go to your LBS and try one out. If they do not have one on the floor...most good LBS's can get one for you to try out, usually from a friend or good customer. They will call customers taht they know well or customers that recently purchased one and see if they can bring it by the shop to shop a perspective buyer. My LBS is like this.

mtnbikej

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm 5'10", not sure what my inseam is although I am short in the leg. I ride a medium with a 90mm stem for similar riding and realy I wouldn't want anything larger. I can only just stand over the top tube as it is.

mtnbikej is right however. If you really want to be sure you're going to have to try one on.

·
USB Rep'n
2,411 Posts
apsilon said:
I'm 5'10", not sure what my inseam is although I am short in the leg. I ride a medium with a 90mm stem for similar riding and realy I wouldn't want anything larger. I can only just stand over the top tube as it is.

mtnbikej is right however. If you really want to be sure you're going to have to try one on.
if you could do it over, would you get a small and play with stem length or use a layback post? Im 5-9 with a 29" inseam and was torn between a med and a small.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't think so. The small loses the bend in the top tube so I don't think standover would be improved anyway. I'm perfectly happy with it so far.

FWIW I just tried measuring my inseam myself (not that easy to do accurately) and I'm around 29.5" - 30"

I think a lot of it would come down to personal preference and I don't think I would want to go smaller.

·
Banned
226 Posts
travisbean1558 said:
Hi,
Thanks in advance
I would say go with a medium. I am 6 foot and I have a large Heckler, it is pretty tall, but it works well for me. My gf has a medium that I ride once in while and it feels even better.....with the exception of the suspension being soft for my weight. She has a swept back seat post and it makes the cockpit about the same length, but the height is a little lower than my bike....which I like alot better on tech downhills. go medium, without a doubt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.