Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting a Heckler and cant decide on the shock.

The situation is that I want to replace my Ellsworth Truth with something a little more heavy duty and all mountain. Fairly sure I will go for the Heckler due to good price and simplicity.

Truth has a Romic (Ti) and it's a lovely shock. Other bike is a Coiler with DHX5.0 coil, which is also nice but a very heavy bike for XC riding at 40lbs.

Heckler will be do it all bike but I have never had an air shock and I weigh 200lbs. Looking at 5-6ft drops max.

I am torn between the DHX air and coil. There is a UK£70 price difference. Maybe I should spend that towards a Ti spring on a DHX coil (but will cost another UK£130)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hey,

I got an (07)TFT tuned DHX 5.0 coil on my Heckler. It's an amzing shock. Well suited to NE Scotland's rocky terrain. It climbs sooo much better than my old Float RL despite the weight penalty!

Coil all the way for the Heckler.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Ridders,

SE England rider here. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the standard DHX coil, given your weight and riding style. It's perfectly possible to build up a sub-32lb coil-sprung heckler without re-mortgaging your house, particularly if you cannibalise your other bikes for your favourite parts. I had a season on an '06 DHX air (XL heckler, 185lbs) and it was perfectly reliable, just uninspiring in it's flat-rate style - I suspect, like me, you prefer a little more 'ramping up' in the stroke to cope with the odd big hit.

Besides, I'm certain others will testify that the heckler wears it's relative heft extremely well. Let us know how you get on. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
471 Posts
An Ellsworth means dealing with Freeborn, which is enough to put me off. Kind of like buying a Turner means dealing with Roundel... shame really. Jungle (SC UK) are easily the best people to ever have to deal with, plus the Heckler is a bloody nice bike for UK riding. Bargin :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.