Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to set up a Heckler as a trail bike. Mostly simple single track in the midwest, but I want it to be capable of riding tougher trails as well. I'm a big guy, about 250 or so and I'm thinking of going with the DHX 5.0 Coil instead of one of the air shocks. Is this a good choice? I don't want the extra weight if I don't need it, but I do like the simplicity of the coil shock. I had a Float fork go out on me once and I swapped to a Vanilla R which I love because it just works all the time. I just want to make sure the DHX 5.0 Coil isn't going to be overkill for what I'm doing with it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
DHX 5.0 coil is the perfect choice, go for it! (from a 240lbs Heckler rider with DHX 5.0 coil). Your next question will be what spring weight, now that is a can of worms, I'll start you off by saying 600lbs ish depending on the riding you're doing.

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
dave_h34 said:
I'll start you off by saying 600lbs ish depending on the riding you're doing.
That'll depend on whether it's the new version or not. The leverage ratio is quite a bit lower on the new one.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
DHX-5 coil super plush I'm 210+ in my gear 450lb spring which is slightly too hard, could do with a 400lb ok most of the time until you hit a rocky climb , when it doesn't track the ground as well as it should,
07 Heckler Large. I had atest ride with the air rp23 set up the sag but it still bottomed out on a harsh trail.
Cheers

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, sounds like the DHX Coil will be the right choice.

It's the new style Heckler so I'm thinking either a 500# or 550# spring. It will come with a 400# spring because that is the biggest that SC says they stock, so I'll have to get the other directly from Fox. Anybody know off hand what a spring from Fox goes for?

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
slide13 said:
Anybody know off hand what a spring from Fox goes for?
I bought one about a year ago and it was $38 something which included shipping and tax. 1-800-FOX-SHOX

·
Registered
132 Posts
The Vanilla R is a good shock too if you don't need all the adjustability and don't want to check your air spring pressure all the time.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Had a 5th coil (reworked) and switched to DHX 5. I'm loving the new shock.

240lbs on a 650 spring

Go to Cambria
http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=53816&page=FOX+RACING+SHOX+DHX+5.0+SHOCK+'06

Somehow they have a bunch of '06' DHX 5 shocks ($260) as well as some '07' Vanilla RC2 forks ($670.00) for sale.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts