Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I tighten the rear shock bolt on the 5th Element to the recommended 120 in/lbs I have play and a clunk if I lift the bike. A forum entry suggested it needed to be tightening more since the mounting tabs are so stiff. I tightened it to 150 in/lbs and that was fine until a long mud ride. Now I have it tightened to 170 in/lbs and it seems good again. Does this sound reasonable?

Can someone tell me the torque value for the front (smallesh) shock bolts?

I have a bushing question. After the mud ride I took the shock off to lube and clean. The bottom bushing is loose but the top bushing appears pressed in. Is this correct? If not which one is wrong. Should the top bushing slide freely or should the bottom bushing be pressed tight?

Thanks

·
Registered
293 Posts
Dependant on the age of the bike I'd say your shock bushings are on the way out. There is the DU bushing and the alloy spacers. Both are made of a softer material to wear before the shock or frame. I seem to go through them about every 18months and i wouldn't describe myself as a regular rider sadly :(

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bushing I am talking about is the steel bushing that the alloy spacers ride on. It seems to me this bushing should slide freely in the shock. Note the alloy spacers spin freely when the shock is mounted. There is enough slop to allow the shock to slide slightly on the steel bushing. So it seems to me the steel bushing should not be pressed into the shock. It should be able to move.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The steel/DU bush is not supposed to move. The alloy bush is supposed to rotate inside the DU bush. These are the two wearing parts, and will need replacing at some point. Possibly now if your getting movement in it when its tightened to the correct torque.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Any decent bike shop should be able to carry this work out. Its pretty standard maintainance(sp) these days. They might have to order in the spacers, but the DU bushes are the same for all Fox,5th Element and (I think) Romic. Only Manitou use a different size diameter in their shocks. I get my LBS to do it. When I converted my gemini dh from the Manitou Swinger shock to a Fox Van RC, I was able to buy the bushed and spacers from Mojo suspension here in the UK.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.