Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the last stage of finishing off my heckler.

I have a boxxer ride fork with the e.13 direct mount stem.
Riser or flat bar?

I am thinking flat bar since I cant drop the fork past 5" and it will ride relatively high when I am climbing so if I can have my hands lower than it should help out in climbing. Am I off on this assumption?

For the brakes I have flak jacket cables, do I run one single continuous length the whole way (from lever to caliper)?
The bosses on the heckler seem to be designed for hyrdo brake lines and dont have the normal parts I am used to. It seems like I just zip-tie the brake line to the bosses.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I'd think with a travel reduction to 5" you wouldn't need to worry about flat-riser bar differences much, but if you want your hands lower go for the flat bar.

The guides that came on my Heckler (first year of the re-design, don't know if they still use the same ones) look like they could handle interrupted housing runs, but I never tried, went with full housing runs from day one. Just zip tied 'em in place on top of the guides.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Flat bars only look right on XC bikes.

Yeah, you'll need to zip-tie continuous brake cable housing onto the bosses, unless you want to use the stops intended for one of the derailleur cables (but that would be silly).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
slackdaddy said:
Flat bars only look right on XC bikes.

Yeah, you'll need to zip-tie continuous brake cable housing onto the bosses, unless you want to use the stops intended for one of the derailleur cables (but that would be silly).
true that flat bars are more often seen on xc bikes but if its right for my setup, then I will go with the flat bars.
I have an older specialized riser bar off an old fsr xc pro bike I had and I will ride with with risers and see how it feels.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I think you'll like the full housing runs once you try them, I've never thought of changing back to an interrupted run (for derailleurs or brakes). Flex isn't much of an issue with current housings (I use basic QBP stuff, no problems). What you do want is to anchor the zipties tight on the rear swing arm, but leave those on the front triangle a bit loose to allow for suspension movement (at least that works for me). A flat or riser bar is all about where you want your hands...wasn't that many years ago riser bars looked odd.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.