Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a Heckler frame, but the sizing has me a little confused.
I'm 5' 10", right on the cusp between Medium and Large.

So - if you would:
-What size frame/stem/risers are you on?
-How tall are you?
-What's your inseam?
-What kind of riding do you do?

Thanks in advance folks.
-Mackie

·
Bike Hoor
675 Posts
Mackie said:

So - if you would:
-How tall are you?
-What's your inseam?

Thanks in advance folks.
-Mackie
Hey Mackie,

I am 5'11", have a 32" inseam and rode a large w/110mm stem and felt very comfortable. My son rides a medium, and having spent a little time on a medium, even though it felt comfortable, I felt better on the large. I think SC does the sizing that way as to give the "majority" a choice depending upon you desired riding position. The Heckler rides rather upright anyway, so a large may be the ticket for you.

Hope that helps.. if not.. I would feel free to give them a shout and talk to them. They are always glad to help out with sizing questions.

Don

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam and had I chosen a Heckler I would have chosen a Medium with maybe a 110mm stem o it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Size

I am 5'10" with a 30 inch inseam. I chose a Large upon recommendation from SC and my preferred vendor. Try them both if you can, fit is everything.

·
Wannabe Endurance Racer
52 Posts
I'm 5'10" and 200 lbs. 31" inseam. I just built up a medium frame. It fits great. I did not have the opportunity to ride a large so I do not know the difference. My last bike was an 18" Kona Stinky Dee-Lux (still have it and will sell if anyone is interested) and it felt too big. My personal preference was to feel bigger than the bike for handling purposes rather than risk having a bike that felt unwieldly at time like the Stinky. Just my $.02.

·
Seaside stand up!
125 Posts
I'm 5'9, 30in inseam and I have a Med, bike feels great. 11/2 rise Easton bars and a 110 Raceface stem with a 15 degree rise (I think). I ride with only 2 front chainrings and a ring guard, I have the 5th element coil, and my favorite trail is Soquel Demo... the bike is setup for abuse for lack of a better term.
Mackie since you haven't bought it yet I do want to inform you that the Heckler is NOT made in the USA. I found out the hard way. After seeing the 2002 on my dealer floor (with "made in USA" stickers) last year I was ready to step up and get myself the "dream" bike.SC Heckler or Blur, a Yeti or Titus...All good, all made here. Ordered my bike in May 03, got it in August 03, went to the bike shop as they were assembling when I noticed the Stars and Stripes sticker was no longer on my bike, but the "Made of Foreign and Domestic parts" was though. I was not happy. I called Santa Cruz on it, and the cat on the other side told me that the tubes come from the US, go to Taiwan to become a Santa Cruz, then come back to get painted. I've been given some excuses by the shop owner who didn't know either and had also called SC, seems demand was so high on both the Blur and Heckler that they outsourced the Heckler. The 1st 03 I ever saw was mine so I never knew... I am happy with my bike, the performance is outstanding and there are no flaws in the workmanship that I can see. This may not matter to you it just seems that nobody knows and things like that go into my decisions.

·
Australien
285 Posts
Mackie said:
I'm in exactly the same boat. (5'10" and a bit, 180lbs, 31" inseam)

I'm about 1 week away from slapping down a deposit on my Heckler. I have ridden the medium and large (car park rides only) and the medium feels a little cramped and the large a little big. The bikes were set up quite differently bar/stem wise, and I'm sure I could make either one comfortable with part selection.

My current bike has angles slightly steeper than the heckler and a TT the same size as the medium, and is oh so slightly small for me (with a long stem). Thus, I think I'm steering towards the large, as most of my riding is aggressive XC (nothing more than 2" drops, lots of rock gardens etc) but I know as I get 'better' I'll start doing bigger, which kind of makes me think the medium might be more useful.

It's a source of anguish for me at the moment, I'll let you know which way I end up going!

cheers,
m.

·
Ultimate Poseur
393 Posts
My setup

Mackie said:

So - if you would:
-How tall are you?
-What's your inseam?

Thanks in advance folks.
-Mackie
Medium 02 Heckler
Thomson Stem 120mm/5 degree rise, Easton CT2 Monkeylites(carbon)
5'9"
32"
"Trail" riding...I'm definitely not a hucker.
Hope that helps.
Travis

·
Bike Hoor
675 Posts
lite_ice said:
I am 5'10" with a 30 inch inseam. I chose a Large upon recommendation from SC and my preferred vendor. Try them both if you can, fit is everything.
How are things working out for you on your bike? I haven't heard from you. Hope all is well. Drop me a line and give me an update or with any questions.

Don

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,352 Posts
I too am 5'10"

Mackie said:

So - if you would:
-How tall are you?
-What's your inseam?

Thanks in advance folks.
-Mackie
I am 5'10" with about a 30" inseam. I went with a large. I used to own a Med Superlight and it felt good but it could have been a tad larger in the top tube. The Large feels great when I'm riding it, the only thing weird it that the standover is pretty tight, but it has never been a problem. Also, I'm running a 0 rise x 105mm stem now, and I may go to a -5 rise. I'm running a relatively tall fork (Z1) and I am guessing that something like a 125mm Fox Vanilla the bars would be perfect with a 0 rise stem. With the 105mm stem I use an easton post which has a large amount of layback. I think a medium would definitley be too cramped.

Kapusta

·
Australien
285 Posts
MRC said:
I have ridden the medium and large (car park rides only) and the medium feels a little cramped and the large a little big. The bikes were set up quite differently bar/stem wise, and I'm sure I could make either one comfortable with part selection.

<snip>
It's a source of anguish for me at the moment, I'll let you know which way I end up going!
Well, I'm still undecided. I am coming from a Giant Rainier 17" which has a top tube the same size as the Medium Heckler. It is slightly small for me (5'10", 32" inseam), but not so bad. Riding buddies say the frame looks too small for me, and that some of my problems in getting the front wheel stuck down on slow technical descents is that too much of my weight is forward on the small frame (long stem). The bike is very manouverable and quite nimble.

Jumping on a medium Heckler feels familiar, but only really at the extent of how 'long' I'd like to make it. It is cramped at anything smaller. The large pedals better, but feels a little unwieldy, but that may be because I'm used to a smaller bike. I found it harder to pop the front, bunny hop etc.

Now, my question - if the large feels a little unwieldy, is it due to me being familiar with a smaller frame and is it something I'll get used to? It is to be a 'trail bike'. I'm not jumping or freeriding, but do a lot of slow technical stuff, which involves riding off 1-2' drops and the like, and quite a few rocky descents. I want a bike that I'll grow into as I start tackling more difficult terrain. Any more advice welcomed!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2 peso's

At 5' 10" you are definitely on the border line of which size to go with. I'm 6' 1", but have a fairly standard 32" inseam and I ride the Large. If friends are telling you the Medium looks smallish on you, I would listen to them becuase they are probably right. The key thing though is how it feels to you and it sounds like you have as much as admitted the Medium is on the small side. I too always liked a smaller feeling bike coming from a BMX background, but after riding it, I conceded the Medium was just too small for me, and would make my cross country ability suffer. If I had it to do over again, I would go with the Large again. The Stand over height is identical, and the top tube length is marginally longer. You could easily tweak the seat to bar reach by playing with the stem length and handlebar combo.

PS: My friend, who also happens to be the area Santa Cruz dealer is just a hair under 5' 10" and he rides a large.

Good luck either way!

·
Australien
285 Posts
Pip said:
Good luck either way!
Well, thanks all for your input. Back to the bike shop today and I laid down a deposit on a large Heckler, ano black (yes I'll be waiting a month or three). The medium was fun, but it was certainly too small, and with all factors considered, probably not the best suited bike for me!

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Wait....

Yeah, the worst thing about buying a Santa Cruz right now is the extended lead time to get your bike. I had orginally ordered the Trans Red Heckler, but they shipped the Trans Gold. The wait had been so long that I just kept the Trans Gold. I'm glad I did now becuase I really like the color. It's different.

At least yours will arrive about right in time for Spring. I ordered mine in Spring and did not receive it until November. (This was last year)

How are you speccing the bike up? Fork? Shock? Etc? I've got mine set up as an all around bike with an emphasis on durability since I like to jump :)

I went with the Fox Vanilla 125RLC, 5th Element Coil shock, Sun Rhyno Lite wheels with XT hubs, Easton Monkey Lite riser bars, stem and seatpost. Also, just got my Shimano Saint cranks which I'll be installing this weekend!!!

·
Australien
285 Posts
Pip said:
How are you speccing the bike up? Fork? Shock? Etc? I've got mine set up as an all around bike with an emphasis on durability since I like to jump :)
It's being built up as a trail bike, that will lead me into more light freeriding terrain as my skills improve. Basically, 5th coil, Sherman Firefly SPV 2004 qr, Mavic 519 rims, 04 XT cranks, 03 XT fr/rr mech, 03 XT fr/rr shifters, 03 XT hydros (4 piston), Easton EA50 bars, azonic stem, generic seatpost.

I was considering a Minute 1 as my fork, they ride very nicely, but went with the Firefly in the end as it is perhaps a better much for the rugged bike, and is something I will 'grow' into.

And yes the wait...the countdown begins.. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
spec

MRC said:
It's being built up as a trail bike, that will lead me into more light freeriding terrain as my skills improve. Basically, 5th coil, Sherman Firefly SPV 2004 qr, Mavic 519 rims, 04 XT cranks, 03 XT fr/rr mech, 03 XT fr/rr shifters, 03 XT hydros (4 piston), Easton EA50 bars, azonic stem, generic seatpost.

I was considering a Minute 1 as my fork, they ride very nicely, but went with the Firefly in the end as it is perhaps a better much for the rugged bike, and is something I will 'grow' into.

And yes the wait...the countdown begins.. ;)
My buddy Dave has the Minute 1 on his Giant VT and seems to like it alot. I've ridden it and it is plush, but I think I still prefer my Fox. I have not had the opportunity to ride any of the incarnations of the Shermans, but I've heard some good things. You'll have to post some pics when you get everything built up. The more you ride your Heckler the more you will love it. I still walk away from it scarcely believing how nimble it is for a 5" travel bike!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts