Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed how much flex is in the rear swingarm of the new Heckler? Maybe it's a single pivot issue, as I have never owned one before, but my new Heckler is sloppy in the ass end. I am a Clydesdale at 275, and just came off of an old Enduro Monocoque frame and never experienced flex like this.

Kind of disappointing because I just spent over 4K to build this new bike and the medium frame turned out to be too short, and the rear end is scary loose in high speed technical stuff.

·
yelgatgab
459 Posts
I'm around 160 on a good day, and I can make my '05 flex without much difficulty. I wouldn't call it a wet noodle, but there's definitely lateral movement back there when cornering. I know the new model is supposed to be stiffer w/ the larger bearings/pivot, but there's still a lot of leverage being exerted on a single pivot point without any other support, so I'm not surprised that at 275 you're feeling some flex.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
ebnash, what Spec "monocoque" frame did you ride before the Heckler? That said, just about all high forward single pivot frames display some flex compared to many other designs unless they have a stiffening link or a massive swingarm and pivot mount. Just look at most high forward single pivots and you'll see a very long lever from the mounting pivot to the rear axle. That's a very long "bar" that exercises a lot of mechanical advantage "against" the main pivot where no other support is present. A good example was the Yeti ASX vs. the Bullit. The Yeti had one stiffening support link that made quite a bit of difference in rigidity. The ASX was notably heavier because of this, however.

All this said, I find the simple high forward system used by SC to be amazingly stout for an unsupported design. The newer Bullit uses a stiffer swingarm and huge main pivot design to address this even further. The bigger, heavier, and more aggressive the rider is, the more he will probably notice some flex in the SC design.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jeffus said:
ebnash, what build have you done? rear shock , forks , wheels etc I'm 210lb in my gear and have never noticed flex in the rear, how tall are you, I'm 5' 10" and ride a large 07 Heckler.
DHX Coil with 600lb spring, 32 Talas RLC Fork, Azonic Outlaw Wheels, and I'm 5'9". I am pretty sure even though I ride a Medium in every other bike, I should have bought a large frame:madman:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
genrec said:
What rear shock you running, and at what psi?

Im only 150 pds so I have no issue....275..I can see the potential of maybe sagging.
DHX Coil with 600lb spring. I originally ran a 700lb spring, but wasn't using all the travel. DHX air wouldn't cut it even with max air pressure no matter what FOX or SC says!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TNC said:
ebnash, what Spec "monocoque" frame did you ride before the Heckler? That said, just about all high forward single pivot frames display some flex compared to many other designs unless they have a stiffening link or a massive swingarm and pivot mount. Just look at most high forward single pivots and you'll see a very long lever from the mounting pivot to the rear axle. That's a very long "bar" that exercises a lot of mechanical advantage "against" the main pivot where no other support is present. A good example was the Yeti ASX vs. the Bullit. The Yeti had one stiffening support link that made quite a bit of difference in rigidity. The ASX was notably heavier because of this, however.

All this said, I find the simple high forward system used by SC to be amazingly stout for an unsupported design. The newer Bullit uses a stiffer swingarm and huge main pivot design to address this even further. The bigger, heavier, and more aggressive the rider is, the more he will probably notice some flex in the SC design.
I was riding the second generation Enduro frame from Specialized. It was a medium with a vanilla rear coil shock. That bike was unbelievably stout and I beat the crap out of it for 4 good years. I belive it was the 2005 Enduro Comp frame just before they changed to the current design.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
ebnash said:
I was riding the second generation Enduro frame from Specialized. It was a medium with a vanilla rear coil shock. That bike was unbelievably stout and I beat the crap out of it for 4 good years. I belive it was the 2005 Enduro Comp frame just before they changed to the current design.
That model Enduro was a good and stout bike. Those models previous to it, however, had some pretty noticeable flex. I might be inclined to call the 2005 Enduros a fourth generation. For some useless Spec history trivia, I'd call the '97-'99 the 1st...the '00-'01 the 2nd...the '02-'04 the 3rd...and the '05 was the 4th. Yes...I realize there's some bleed over within those models, but I think there are 3 prior notably different variables to the '05.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
FWIW I have 3 generations of Heckler (98, 02, 07) and as each gained travel they still gained stiffness IMHO. To expect no flex, especially at 275, is wishful thinking. I'm at 200 and yes, there's flex but it doesn't bother me at all, it's still a very good bike. I was able to test one each time in real riding conditions in Downieville before getting each one, so I knew what I was getting.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
FWIW I have 3 generations of Heckler (98, 02, 07) and as each gained travel they still gained stiffness IMHO. To expect no flex, especially at 275, is wishful thinking. I'm at 200 and yes, there's flex but it doesn't bother me at all, it's still a very good bike. I was able to test one each time in real riding conditions in Downieville before getting each one, so I knew what I was getting.
I agree, i should expect some flex from any bike at my weight and that's why I asked about the single pivot thing. Problem is that when I drive off corners the rear end gets loopy. I was obviously spoiled with my previous Enduro frame. Live and learn...

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
ebnash said:
I agree, i should expect some flex from any bike at my weight and that's why I asked about the single pivot thing. Problem is that when I drive off corners the rear end gets loopy. I was obviously spoiled with my previous Enduro frame. Live and learn...
Go Knolly Endorphin if you can.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.