Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 Heckler and love it...the rear shock is a little soft though. Even the smallest jump/drops will bottom me out. I weigh about 220, and have a 5th Element coil shock. I will go look at progressive's site to see what spring they recommend...but I am wondering if an air shock is better...or is that more for xc?

·
What are you looking at?
949 Posts
kawboy8 said:
I have an 03 Heckler and love it...the rear shock is a little soft though. Even the smallest jump/drops will bottom me out. I weigh about 220, and have a 5th Element coil shock. I will go look at progressive's site to see what spring they recommend...but I am wondering if an air shock is better...or is that more for xc?
If you get a swinger 4-way air It has SPV or you could get a DHX A. Both of those would work well for med FR

·
Registered
46 Posts
an air shock like the DHX air would be a great upgrade to your heckler. maybe a progressive gravity too. the 5th air and the rp3 are intended for more xc use. Hope this helps :).

·
Custom User Title
717 Posts
kawboy8 said:
I just out a DHX-A on my Heckler and it feels as good if not better than the 5th coil. But the cheaper option of course would be to get the correct spring.

·
Old man on a bike
12,383 Posts
Not enough background. Did you just get this bike/shock? How do you have the shock set up? Did this just start happening? What spring do you have? Is it the original? IME it's a great shock if it's setup right.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,452 Posts
kawboy8 said:
You really need the right spring. I'm around 190 and I used the 350 lb spring, I'm guessing you will need AT LEAST a 400.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
4-Way Air on Heckler

I have a 4-Way Air on my Heckler and I am also heavy at 230lbs. It works great. You can adjust it for whatever type of riding you want. All you need is an air pump and a little knowledge about the shock settings. After a couple of weeks you will figure out the sweetspots for your style of riding. I am getting a DHX 5.0 Coil for it too. I should have it by the weekend so I am looking forward to compare the two. I know the bike will be more bid drop capable with the Coil. I've not done anything over 4-5' with the 4-Way but have never bottomed it out. It is a pretty sweet shock. The one I have has a 2" stroke so I get 5" of travel out of my Heckler with the 4-Way. The DHX Coil I'm getting has a 2.25" stroke so I'll get 5.6" of travel and I am really looking forward to checking out the difference.

I would hesitate putting on a 4-Way Air shock on your Hecler. The DHX Air would be really sweet too and with the DHX you can get a 2.25" stroke shock to get the additional travel. With the 4-Way you are limited to a 2" stroke with the correct i2i for the Heckler.

·
I fix choppers
992 Posts
I recommend that you most certainly begin with the correct spring. I weigh nearly 240 lbs with gear and I run a 425 spring with the settings all up at least two notchs/turns from the quick set-up recommendations. It is spot on; no bottoming or problems. I would not recomend a standard 5th Element Air as it made the rear feel too sloppy/flexy. A DH-X maybe, but it really boils down to what kind of feel are you looking for. The 5th and the Swinger will be generally less sensitive and therefore stiffer feeling. Whereas, Fox shocks have traditionally been more sensitive and "springy" feeling. Damn, I can't wait to ride again; damn [email protected]#$%#[email protected]#@ty weather! :mad:

·
Banned
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HELLBELLY said:
I recommend that you most certainly begin with the correct spring. I weigh nearly 240 lbs with gear and I run a 425 spring with the settings all up at least two notchs/turns from the quick set-up recommendations. It is spot on; no bottoming or problems. I would not recomend a standard 5th Element Air as it made the rear feel too sloppy/flexy. A DH-X maybe, but it really boils down to what kind of feel are you looking for. The 5th and the Swinger will be generally less sensitive and therefore stiffer feeling. Whereas, Fox shocks have traditionally been more sensitive and "springy" feeling. Damn, I can't wait to ride again; damn [email protected]#$%#[email protected]#@ty weather! :mad:
How much air Pressure goes in the shock? I think I will mess around with it some and see if I can get it working a little better.

·
I fix choppers
992 Posts
kawboy8 said:
How much air Pressure goes in the shock? I think I will mess around with it some and see if I can get it working a little better.
I fill it up to 150 PSI before each ride. It is very firm, but thats how I like it cowboy! ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts