Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had heard from a reputable SC dealer that hecklers have been cracking on the downtube just bove the bottom bracket. I have read some threads about it hear as well. Has this been fixed with the new heckler?

·
Registered
181 Posts
What year?

What year Heckler are you talking about? Prior to 03 dosn't count. That was before the first re-make. They were simply Superlights on crack. They newer frame is a differeent animal.

As far as I know they don't have a problem breaking at the bottom bracket. Mine is an 03 and it is still ticking.

The 07 re-make is not on the street for public consumption yet. At least the Dealer WEB site is not showing any. It will be early spring before they have a chance to break at the bottom bracket.

Tex

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the one I saw in the shop was a newer style. The dealer was talking about the ones available because he cautioned me about buying one. He said everyone that has one loves 'em,but he has seen quite a few with a frame failure in the same area of the downtube.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I don't think so...

Hey, I will quite honest with you. I am going to pull out the BS card on this one. As you can see no one is chiming in here and telling you theirs broke too. With that being said, let's see pictures and we can all learn. The ones that I have seen break have given up at the swing arm and shock mount attachments and they have been hammered getting that way.

All bikes can be broken. I am not saying that one has not been broke there but the Heckler is a pretty trusty steed. I would not be scared to get one and ride it. Like I said, mine is old and still works great.

BTW, what does your LBS recommend you buy in it's place?

·
Groveland Trail Heads
1,897 Posts
I hear you tex...

I have a 2005 heckler and no issues. Great bike, imo. I also have not heard anything about frame failure on hecklers either. I live in Santa Cruz, CA and know some people who work at Santa Cruz Bicycles and again I have not heard a thing about frame failure on hecklers.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was pretty wel set on geting one and the dude at the bike shop just mentioned he has had to warrtee quite a few recently. he had on esitting there in the shop with the crack on the down tube, Ya'll believe that it was more of a fluke, uh. I thought they qwere really reliable as well. This LBS is not local to me I had to drive an hour and half to get there. We recently had a LBS open up in town that is a SC dealer. So that is kinda why I am interested agian, if I do have a problem I don;t have to drive an hour and half plus to get it fixed or looked at. I am not hatin' on the hecklers, hell I want to be heckler owner.

·
Australien
285 Posts
I've only seen one busted Heckler frame, and that was via the web, and it was the result of the user driving it into a tunnel when strapped to the top of his car.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Go ahead and get one...

If you want a no frills, simple bike that does as advertised.... go for it. You won't be sorry.

As I said no one is jumping in and calling me out... if I was telling a story they would call me out.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
My local LBS is a Santa Cruz dealer (one of two) on North Vancouver's "Shore".
I'm 225 lbs on a good day and am riding a 2004 Heckler. I've never heard of the failure you've described nor have either of the warranty guys from the local shops.
I also think this is bull.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I only wonder why a shop would try and NOT sell a bike on the chance it may fail.
The failures that shop had may be from riders who do a lot of big drops and jumps. Ore one really aggro guy who needs the next-up burlier bike.
You may just ride hard, with a drop or a few jumps thrown in, and never have a failure.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The trails close to the shop are really technical with a lot of drops and jumps. The SC dealer tries to stear me to a devinci or a norco. he did say tha the would gladly order me a heckler if I wanted it. They are a reputable shop.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here in Asia, i too have not heard of any heckler breaking. I say the shop is BS-ing you as well. Maybe he needs to clear other bikes, thus pushing you away from the heckler, whatever the reason, we won't know.

The heckler frame, if i may say, is as strong as it gets. I was looking at the transition BottleRocket just yesterday. It too had 140mm of rear travel. It felt (feels) stronger then the heckler but weighing in at an extra 800grams. I won't go for it. Another point, if you use the heckler to be taking extreme drops and crashing it time after time, fatigue on the frame will surely be there. Banging a humvee against concrete time after time eventually crush the truck as well. My point is get the frame, and get good shoxs both front and rear for it. Ride the frame within its means, and no silly acts, i think you'll break bones before you break the heckler.

2 cents :)

·
364 Posts
I'll tell you why, SC likes to have cash up front when they ship out their bikes to low-volume dealers. Your LBS was probably just being cheap.

BTW, I have a 2004. No cracks. Thanks for your info lebikerboy, if you haven't broken a 2004, I probably won't either.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yep...

I have seen this one and that is at the shock and swing arm pivot.

I would also challenge that this break was caused by corrosion in the area in question. You can see the rust all over inside the breaks. This will cause material failure.

Tex

·
Registered
181 Posts
eeerrrr Al hate to call you out...

but you are wrong. Aluminum does rust. It is called corrosion or oxidation. Now without going too deep into it, anytime you have an untreated metal, it will oxidize and/or corrode. It is in the nature of the stuff especially where you have heat and/or disimilar metals involved. Now look at the photos again and the area has been welded and the metals involved are the bearing races (stainless steel) and the frame aluminum.

before you jump off the deep end. I worked 25 years in the aircraft industry. Aircraft are made up of aluminum for the most part. We fight corrosion all the time on aircraft trough proper cleaning, lubrication and corrosion treatment (paint).

Not saying the bike did not fail. I am saying IMO, the care of the bike before it died might have been a rough one.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I don't disagree that aluminium corrodes, just that it rusts. Rust is Iron Oxide, Aluminium corrosion is Aluminium Oxide, and thus not rust.

No deep end jumping here. Just being a pedantic material science engineer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.