Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Bike Breaker.
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So have ordered a 20mm wheel as an upgrade and without knowing if 08 PIKES will be any different getting a Pair of those or the new 36 TALAS, obviously the cost is steep compared to the PIKES, will I notice much of a diference going DH with the PIKES or the 36? I know its the eternal fork for heckler ? But would like any opinions.

·
Registered
315 Posts
dude the extra 20mm of travel you will get with the Talas is incredibly nice to have on the DH. not to mention on the fly travel adjust. if price is a major issue, the PIKE is a proven and good fork but the Talas is excellent.

·
Bike Breaker.
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the push element that's swaying me to the PIKE and the 160mm to the Talas. I can recoup some of this money by selling my present 32 Talas 140mm.

·
Registered
315 Posts
fox fixed all the bugs on the Talas 36 and if money isnt the issue then go with the Talas. 160mm of travel will make a world of difference going down. itll make the bike a litl slacker on the DH and much more confidence inspiring.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I think your choice is on what type of trails you ride, both should be excellent, I have Push'd coil 454 Pike on my Heckler, and it is a great fork, faster and gnarlier it gets the better, but for what trails I ride they are more than enough, my extreme maybe your norm, I would like to compare the Talas 36 , the travel adjust appeals , but I like the feel of coil, the Talas is similar weight to the Pike , if down hill is your thing then the extra travel would be cool, flip a switch to climb back up :)
what rear shock do you have, I've the Push'd DHX-5 coil which is a superb set up.

·
Bike Breaker.
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They;re building some swoopy stuff and my natural trails are rock though I dont fly much, I have the RP23 at the back, quite happy with that at the mo so the fork is what I need to sort out, So what I'm after is something that balances the bike, if thats the Pike then will save a few quid, though I do like blasting through rocks and roots so if the 36 is the best then that is god for me. Saying that the Pike Coil Pushed could be enough, but I'm looking for a confident descender.

·
Justin Vander Pol
1,740 Posts
I've had both on the same bike - an '07 36 Talas and a Pike 454 Air U-turn. I never really liked the Pike, but it wasn't bad, either. It felt a bit less supple on the small stuff, and seemed a bit flexy for my taste. Bear in mind my "xc" riding would probably be considered freeride by a lot of folks. The floodgate damping always seemed odd to me--I prefer straight forward low and high speed compression settings and find a fork lockout to be of no use. Both forks need their oil checked/changed in the lowers pretty regularly (unlike Marzo's excellent open-bath design). The Pike doesn't like to stored upside down lube oil can leak out of the o-rings on the top-knob, and Rockshox even said the forks isn't supposed to be stored upside down when I asked about this.

The 36 is great, and I find I actually use the travel adjust on climbs, and even sometimes use the 160mm of travel for really fast descents or drops. The 36 also resists bottoming much better than the Pike, but I'd guess most folks will complain about not using full travel on the 36. I use the 36 in 130mm mode for most of my riding.

The Pike is now happily doing duty on my dirt jump/park bike cranked all the way down with the air pressure set pretty high.

Bottom line: Fox 36 Talas is probably the ideal fork for the Heckler, but it's pricey. Pike would be great, but will keep you more firmly planted in the xc/trail category than the xc/trail-able and freeride-able 36.

·
Doesnt ride Banshees
1,406 Posts
^^^ That's odd, I found the exact opposite after owning both forks (two 36's actually, I didn't learn the first time). The Motion Control in the pike offers far superior small bump sensitivity and tracking than the fox. The 36 and 40 tended to be more linear (less bottom out resistance regardless of settings), while still being less supple initially. Some people never notice, but I'd prefer a $349 Tora with MC over the highest end fox RLC, based purely on performance.

·
Bike Breaker.
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still undecided, the 20mm wheel comes tomorrow, 20mm hub XT and DT 5.1's. If I get the standard PIKE, it's £295 the Pushed PIKE coil is £440 with a £40 refund off the first service. The 36 Talas RC2 is £650, bit of a diference, you only live once.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Catnash, have you thought about the 36 Float? I'm in the same boat as you, looking for a bolt-thru replacement for my Van 32 on the Heckler. The float is cheaper & supposedly plusher than the TALAS, more reliable, and you can internally adjust travel. Noah's Ark are doing dome good online deals at the mo.

·
Bike Breaker.
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, have thought about it, as I'm used to the Talas 32 R 08, I like the quick height adjust, Have heard that the PIKE would suit my terrain, but there's something about the 36 Talas, though would consider the RC" for the extra settings, If I could guarentee the Price I could sell my present fork for it would make the whole thing easier. But the main thing is that the PIKE is so good on the heckler. It's very difficult to make the choice.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I've owned both the pike and the 36. I'm currently runing the latter on my 08 Heckler. If I were you I would consider axel to crown height rather then focusing on how much travel each fork has. The heckler is a great all around bike that can be biased towards xc or Dh, in my opinion, a heckler with a pike is biased towards xc becuase the head angle will be pretty steep for agressive riding. Many will disagree with me on this because the Pike is a tough 20mm fork that can take real abuse, but my reasoning here is strickly based on geomatry. If you want your heckler to handle better on steep technical trails, go with a fox 36 or Marz 55; both have a taller axel to crown height compared to the Pike, and will slacken your head angle to help with DH. If you want your heckler to be a better climber and have a lower BB, go with the Pike. I loved my Pike, but I had it on a blur 4x, I wouldn't like it on my current heckler becuase I like a slack head angle. You'll be happy with what ever fork you get, it's a question of how happy will you be with your heckler's geometry?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
A 08 RP23 white Heckler is about to show in my LBS, and if I get the frame (which I think I will since I'm now without a heavy duty bike; my brother took my Prophet away), I will end up in the same situation. So far, I think a Pike can handle pretty much everything, but the extra travel and adjustments in the 36 is a bit of temptation.

Those who are running a Pike in front of their Hec's ever felt you needed more than 140mm upfront? I still think a bit more, not much more, like 6-inch, would be the perfect amount of cush for the Heckler. Wish the Pike was just 150mm for 2009, that would solve all my travel issues... Are you listening Rock Shox?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
slimat99 said:
I've owned both the pike and the 36. I'm currently runing the latter on my 08 Heckler. If I were you I would consider axel to crown height rather then focusing on how much travel each fork has. The heckler is a great all around bike that can be biased towards xc or Dh, in my opinion, a heckler with a pike is biased towards xc becuase the head angle will be pretty steep for agressive riding. Many will disagree with me on this because the Pike is a tough 20mm fork that can take real abuse, but my reasoning here is strickly based on geomatry. If you want your heckler to handle better on steep technical trails, go with a fox 36 or Marz 55; both have a taller axel to crown height compared to the Pike, and will slacken your head angle to help with DH. If you want your heckler to be a better climber and have a lower BB, go with the Pike. I loved my Pike, but I had it on a blur 4x, I wouldn't like it on my current heckler becuase I like a slack head angle. You'll be happy with what ever fork you get, it's a question of how happy will you be with your heckler's geometry?
True.

·
Bike Breaker.
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As I've already ordered the wheel, could have gone with 15mm and the 09 Talas, I' sure I'd be ok with the Pike, also wondering if the Pike could be 150mm for 09?

·
Learning to Fly
156 Posts
FWIW I love my 07 Float on my 07.5 Heckler. As mentioned above it's all about what you want the bike to lean toward. I much prefer the slackness the taller fork provides. I think it makes for a perfect do it all bike, that leans toward light freeride stuff.

·
Bike Breaker.
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm still on the fence with this one, There's no jumps as such with me on the trails I ride, plenty of Tabletops, rough DH tracks with loads of berms, a few rough rock gardens, but also plenty of nice singletrack and easy fire road climbs. Ideal for the heckler and I have heard a 3km DH is going to be built. I really need to get some pics but I've had so much fun that stopping half way down a run is difficult. whats the A-C of my current 08 Talas R compared to the PIKE and then compared to a 09 Talas 36? Is Pushing the Coil the same as say Pushing the Air Pike?

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
I had a few forks on my 03' Heckler - 05' Z1 FR 1, Pike Dual Air, Fox Van 36RC2, Float 36 RC2. The Van 36 was the most supple but lacked progression. The Float had a little too much mid-stroke wallow / dive, the Z1 FR 1 Did everything well but sdidn't shine in any area. The Pike Dual Air has proven to be a great match for trail use. I really like the adjustability. I think the Pike and 36's are good trail bike forks - FR or DH not really.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
As with any TFT Tuned Rebuild Service, your fork is completely disassembled, cleaned, inspected and bushings are sized to the mating inner fork tubes to maximize the chassis performance.

Then we add the PUSH Factory Fork System which is for those riders looking for the ultimate tailored performance out of their fork. Our technicians, taking into consideration rider weight, style and frame application, utilize the PUSH exclusive FDV Rebound Piston upgrade system to increase traction, bump sensitivity, and big hit control.

Our technicians then install Fork Seals, Fork Wipers, Crush Washers, O-ring kit, and finish your fork off with RSP Racing Fork Fluid. Lastly, a careful application of new Push “Factory Rebuild” decals.

I had my 454 Pike coil u turn Push'd , you basicall give them your weight, type and style of riding and they set the fork up for you, I find now the faster I go the better things get, where before it used to get worse depending on the trail, I have certain trails that I used to have to back off on now I can just ride straight through seems as if the bike tracks better and is under more control than before, makes the Heckler even better, I have the Push'd DHX-5 coil also set up for my weight etc...again this upgrade makes thee Heckler track better I think the wheels are following the contour of the trail more giving more grip and control, I presume the Air Pike will have similar attributes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.