Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I've just changed from Pike 454 coil u turn to a Lyric coil u turn similar to what you are asking, the Heckler mine is a 07 performs great with both, I found the Pike to be good at most trails , but I felt the front needed to be slacker for DH, with the Lyric DH is much better and the forks extra travel and stiffness really shows, I wind them in for climbing to 140 and the Heckler still climbs nicely, I think 130 on the Lyric is around the same A-C as the Pike at 140, but having said that the bike still climbs fine at 160mm, just a little more likely to lift the front, also there is a slight weight penalty but I think its worth it, and coil forks are so Plush.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have a Pike on the front of my blur 4X and while I really do love it, when in the 140mm setting, it's not as stiff as I could wish when doing high speed DH runs in the mountains. This is hardly a criticism of the Pike, as it has handled all of it just fine, but if I had the means, I would upgrade to something like a Lyric or the Fox with Talas. Bottom line, if you're a lighter rider (I weigh 185 before clothing and gear) or just riding XC, then the Pike is probably your best bet. If you're asking more of your bike, then the upgrade would be noticeable IMO.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
I don't know...these two forks really strike me as totally different categories. The Pike is a great fork model...great. The Van 36 is a great fork...really great. But when you're talking about nearly an inch of travel difference, about a half pound of weight, and noticeable stanchion stiffness difference, the level and type of riding probably needs to be spelled out by the OP to see which might apply better. This is probably a choice where either fork wouldn't turn out to be a disaster.

·
Justin Vander Pol
1,756 Posts
Have you considered a 36 Talas? I've run them on a bike with a head angle almost identical to a Heckler. The 36 Talas BLOWS away the Pike 454, unless you're a weight weenie (doesn't sound like you are). I run the talas mostly in the 130mm setting. If you push your bike hard, the 36 Talas is the best "xc" fork out there.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Must agree with juice . I have a 36 Talas on my 08 Heckler and it feels so much better than the Pike 454 I had before. On singletrack and normal climbs I use the 130 mm setting, going down using the 160 mm.

·
Doesnt ride Banshees
1,406 Posts
If your considering the 36, then I would opt for the Lyrik to keep it in the same catagory. Better damping, superior small bump sensitivity, and actual customer support. Comparing the 36 to the Pike is like comparing the F140 to the Reba; completely different forks. I personally thought the 36 left alot to be desired, but I've owned enough forks to know what I was missing when I owned one.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Banshee Rider said:
If your considering the 36, then I would opt for the Lyrik to keep it in the same catagory. Better damping, superior small bump sensitivity, and actual customer support. Comparing the 36 to the Pike is like comparing the F140 to the Reba; completely different forks. I personally thought the 36 left alot to be desired, but I've owned enough forks to know what I was missing when I owned one.
The main advantage of the Talas 2 with its 100-130-160 mm settings is that you can fine-tune your geometry with the fork. That's important because the Heckler feels sluggish with 160 mm up front, it turns like a truck.
RS' 2-step is just a climbing aid (if it works at all). The U-turn version takes ages to turn up and down. After a year of use (and abuse in the belgian mud) my 36 still looked like new inside. The only thing i must agree with is that it isn't very sensitive on the smaller stuff.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Banshee Rider said:
I have to agree with this post. While I didn't give up on my 36 rc2 talas and was rewarded, the reward came a year later. Initial problems were dry baths out of the factory (luckily I found it before needing new stanchions and bushings), ineffective seals, TALAS becoming sticky, never getting full travel, even after reducing hydraulic bottom out and dropping sag, blowing through initial and mid travel, then extreme progressivity at end-travel. I finally removed the IFP air and lubed all the TALAS seals recently. That transformed the fork entirely. Now sag doesn't blow through, and I have an extremely linear, coil-like fork with travel adjust. I do have to add more hydraulic bottom out, but that will come at the next servicing in March.

Fox had a good concept, but fubar'd it in the end.

Not to mention the undersized axle they refused to believe existed because their "engineers" check everything. Yeah, so they have a floor full of undocumented "engineers" assembling these forks from Taiwanese shipments and leaving out the oil, but checking axles. Right.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
I have to agree with this post. While I didn't give up on my 36 rc2 talas and was rewarded, the reward came a year later. Initial problems were dry baths out of the factory (luckily I found it before needing new stanchions and bushings), ineffective seals, TALAS becoming sticky, never getting full travel, even after reducing hydraulic bottom out and dropping sag, blowing through initial and mid travel, then extreme progressivity at end-travel. I finally removed the IFP air and lubed all the TALAS seals recently. That transformed the fork entirely. Now sag doesn't blow through, and I have an extremely linear, coil-like fork with travel adjust. I do have to add more hydraulic bottom out, but that will come at the next servicing in March.

Fox had a good concept, but fubar'd it in the end.

Not to mention the undersized axle they refused to believe existed because their "engineers" check everything. Yeah, so they have a floor full of undocumented "engineers" assembling these forks from Taiwanese shipments and leaving out the oil, but checking axles. Right.
your a hard man, Jerk. :cool:
"HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!"

·
Justin Vander Pol
1,756 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
never getting full travel, even after reducing hydraulic bottom out and dropping sag,
Ahhh, and you just pointed out what I like best about the 36 Talas. It's the only light-ish fork I've had that doesn't bottom on me. I like not using full travel - keeps frames and parts (and wrists) from breaking. I've broken too many frames to buy into the argument that you should use all your travel on most rides.

I just did notice that my '07 has a small crack at the usual spot where the bolts for the axle clamp are. It's only on one of the two bolts on one side, and I know Fox CS is poor. I think this was a known issue. My fork even has the little steel shims in the clamp and I've been very light on the torque - even less than spec. Lame. But I figure it isn't a big deal, and I'll run it until it breaks since the wheel can't fall of it it fully fails.

The only forks that I've ever been 100% happy with are Marzocchi's freeride/DH forks. Seems like every other fork out there has at least one nagging issue. Even the newer 66's have their issue. Must be the downside to light weight.

A good friend just got a Lyrik coil for his Heckler. It'll be cool to see how it works for him - he was debating between the Lyrik and 36.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hey JC I was wondering if you could give me the link to the thread about decreasing the IFP preassure of a 36 Talas? I searched for it but couldn't find it. I believe there was a running change to the internals, is it possible to do this on an 08 model? Thanks for the help. Peace.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Hey woogie,

I don't have it handy and may have been in other threads. Basically, I just removed the IFP air and now the fork is linear. Don't do it unless you're willing to refill it and deal with the trouble if you don't like it. I suspect I could possibly like well below the 150psi, perhaps even 50-100, but I really dig the linearity now and the fact that my sag is good, instead of excessive and I can get full travel, with bottom out controlled by the hydraulic valving.

My model is an 08, so yes. I recommend cleaning and relubing the TALAS while you're in there. I will also experiment with different IFP heights with no air, but I suspect it will cause clatter.

·
Registered
116 Posts
i do not have any experience with the fox, but after riding my heckler at first with the pike and than changing to a marzocchi all mountain2 with 160mm i realized that the longer fork and the resulting slacker angles really make a big ! difference in riding..as dmx1 wrote..
so I think the best way is to decide at first which fork length makes sense, according to riding style and terrain and than taking care about brand, model , damping...
by the way , meanwhile I changed back to the pike to give the shorter fork a try again...the marz AM2 is right now on my chameleon...unbelievable fun, but thats another story..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.