Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just sold acouple of steeds and am looking to consolidate with a do al bike in addition to my Surly 1x1. I want to ride all day epics, do the odd sport class race, a bit of jumping and lts of hardcore and fun riding. I won't be hucking or dropping of anything larger than 5' I think. I want something easy to maintain, that pedals well and is great to ride I am 6'2" 210lbs and looking at a L Heckler or a L VT1. I have aways dreamed of a Heckler but like the VT1 as well. The new VT1 I can ge for about $3500 Aus and a 2004 Heckler (ex demo with full warranty) with Talas RLC, Juicy 7s, King HS, XT everything, Thompson Seatpost and Stem, Maxm Bars for $4100 Aus. Which is the better bike? the better value etc.

ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED

Shannon

·
Registered
3 Posts
heckler or vt1

I have (you won't believe) VT1 and Heckler. I had first VT1, which is very good bike for long trips, good climber, very light, but not good for fast downhill or freeride (I haven't even think of taking jumps or drops due to nervous xc suspenssion, crossmax,...).

Heckler - it is THE bike. I bought it with Z150FR and freeride gear, it is a bit heavy, but climbs perfect (you climb slower than VT1 due to weight and small difference in geometry but you climb without any problem and definitelly without any bob). But when gravity is nice to you (downhill) it brings smile on your face and not just smile but smiiileeeeeee.

I have tried Bullit, VP-free, Stinky, Gemini and must say that with my Heckler I am almost as confident as with those freeride machines. Speed, drop, jump, cornering,... fabulos.

I still have my VT1 since it has 3 chainrings front, Heckler just 2 due to protector, so if I go for longer ride I take my VT1, if I have some harder thoughts I use my Heckler

If I would have to choose one I would decide for Heckler in a second!!

...hope it helped a bit...

·
www.justthebonnet.com
1,475 Posts
I have a VT and a SC superlight. The heckler will be easier to maintain since it is single pivot while the giant has something like 6 bearings if I remember correctly. Either way they are great bikes. The heckler will take more abuse and hucks than the giant and the heckler is way stiffer. I would just say to ride them both and see what you like better. For more xc.long trips the giant is better, for stiffer, hucks and drops and reliability the heckler wins. Find what fits you better or feels better in geometry.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts