Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Lindsay
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like to climb a lot and I was wondering if the Heckler by Santa Cruz is truly a all around performer? I've read the reviews here for the Specialized Enduro Pro, and I can tell you they are all lies. You can't pedal that bike uphill unless you're in a full lock out mode or you'll be rocking like a boat. I guess, I can't trust the reviews on this site. It's all biased.

What the hell do I do now? Heckler or Santa Cruz Superlight. That's all I can afford on a college student loan.

monica

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Blur probably fits your criteria better. I love my Hecklers (I have both the older one, on which the Superlight is based, as well as the newer version), but true climbers they aren't; they climb well but Blur does it better. Search the Santa Cruz forum for much more info on the various SC bikes...

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Absolutely.

Once_Upon_A_Time said:
I really like to climb a lot and I was wondering if the Heckler by Santa Cruz is truly a all around performer? I've read the reviews here for the Specialized Enduro Pro, and I can tell you they are all lies. You can't pedal that bike uphill unless you're in a full lock out mode or you'll be rocking like a boat. I guess, I can't trust the reviews on this site. It's all biased.

What the hell do I do now? Heckler or Santa Cruz Superlight. That's all I can afford on a college student loan.

monica
Interesting comment on the Specialized as I have experienced the exact same thing. BOB city on the Enduro and Stumpy. I feel the new Enduro pedals with less bob but is heavier.

I guess many reviews are biased as mine will also sound but I have owned and demoed a lot of bikes and the Heckler is one of the best without question imo. For price and versatility there are not many in its class. Just look how often the Heckler is mentioned around here.

The Heckler really is a all around performer and can be dressed for any occasion. I had a Heckler for a while and with the 5th element or any comparable shock (that is tuned correctly) the Heckler pedals very efficiently on the flats and uphill. My Heckler was built on the heavier side of the spectrum 35lbs+ and I still enjoyed taking it on epic rides.

When you stand up and mash on the pedals the Heckler will begin to bob, like any full suspension design that is not a vpp design or locked out. With a lightweight build you can get the Heckler under 30lbs easily and this will help with the climbing. I wish the bb height on the Heckler was a little higher but that is the only major complaint I have with this bike.

Someone mentioned the Blur, which does climb with less bob but costs a whole lot more and will cost more down the road for maintaining due to more pivot points.

If you are into aggressive trail riding you will be happy if you choose the Heckler over the Superlight.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Once_Upon_A_Time said:

monica
Consider thinking about where and how people ride. There are places in the country where the trails are quite smooth, smooth, but loose surface, rocky and rocky and loose as well as climbs that last for feet and climbs that last for miles.

I tested Heckler and Enduro, really liked them both, but went for the Enduro for these specific reasons. It remained plush when using the rear brake, and it was superb at keeping the rear wheel planted on loose and rocky stuff. It was also several hundred $ less. I would still like a Heckler, so there we have two great bikes, but one was a better fit for the riding I do most often and the money saved was two road trips to another region to ride.

I'll follow up by saying that after making a conscious decision to buy a bike that many would say bob, I found I did one 26 mile epic-type ride about an hour faster on the heavier bobbing bike. I figure bobbing can't be that bad based on that. The Enduro is actually quite bob free with the good technique that also makes the do or don't difference for clearing a climb or obstacle.

I also spent time adjusting the platform-type shocks when I did my test rides to make sure my opinion was not due to a poorly configured bike.

Your mileage may vary, but I concluded that if I want suspension I want all the suspension and plush that I can get, and if I want efficiency I want all the efficiency I can get. I ended up with the a very active suspension that keeps the rear planted for traction during power and braking and a plush bomber with ETA in front and a rigid single speed. There were a few bikes that had the same characteristics so try and separate any brand loyalty and choose what's right for your riding, and then look at brands and models.

With an infinite budget I'd have the Heckler for play at a local quarry and my neighborhood, still have an AMP-type, and get a different single speed but I won't wasted money in an area where there are diminishing returns for the results.

I hope this makes sense. Cut the emphasis on brand and image, get a design best for where and how you'll rode most often, and know that you get diminishing returns as the price climbs if you're looking at good stuff in the first place.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Yes.

Once_Upon_A_Time said:
Is the Heckler's bob while climbing tolerable?
If you remain seated while climbing there is very little noticeable bob (if any) on the Heckler when using a stable platform shock. This depends on how you set up the rear shock also. The suspension will react to bumps but not to pedaling inputs when seated. It is more efficient to pedal seated anyways. The pivot placement on the Heckler also helps with efficiency while pedalling.

It is when you stand up to pedal when bobbing becomes noticeable on the Heckler. It also depends on how you set up the rear shock. If you have a 5th element or comparable shock you can change the settings to your riding style. Usually, if you want less bounce then add more air to the chamber.

If you have to stand up to mash on the pedals the bob is not out of control either. It is there but is not like riding a pogo stick. Like the Enduro rider stated, technique also plays a role. Especially with an active rear suspension. Pedal in smooth circles for less bobbing.

Good luck.

·
Banned
2,994 Posts
Superlight for rides in reality

Once_Upon_A_Time said:

monica
because were most of us ride there is lots and lots of uphill effort before the downhill payoff.

·
Banned
640 Posts
Hay, thats like where i ride.
Each year tons of branches and stuff falls on the trail.
No one is paid boot them off the trail, we just do it for the team.
Lots of booting sticks work makes a smooth ride.

·
Waiting to exhale.
1,030 Posts
If you like to climb alot then you would probably appreciate a lighter weight bike with a steep-ish XC geometry. I think the SL has a 71* HA as opposed to the heckler which is 69* ( I think ) which if you are a serious climber then you should appreciate the non-wandering handling going up. A 69* HA might *might* cause some wondering on the super steeps. (although it would not be a prob if you had the correct fork and stem set up) If you where to use a Fox RP3 or 5th element air, you could dial it in to achieve almost no bob what so ever and save around a pound in weight from the 5th element coil shock. If you truly like to climb out of the saddle then a lock out shock may come in handy, otherwise save up for a VPP bike. One other thing to consider, Many forks in the 100mm range are considerably lighter in weight than a 130mm fork. Shorter stroke forks usually have some kind of pedaling "platform" and maintain weight. You can find long travel forks with a anti bob adjustment or lock out but the choice really narrows down and the weight usually goes up. If you have your heart set on the heckler, then get the heckler. Don't make compromises. good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.